Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Anemone ID

Started by davelew ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Anemone ID

7 posts
  1. This should be an easy one for you guys, I don't have much anemone knowledge.

     

    Last week, I saw what looked like a segmented worm at first nestled in some fire coral and writhing with the surge, in the Turks and Caicos islands in the Caribbean.

     

    It only looked like a worm from far away, when I got closer it looked like some sort of rock anemone or carpet anemone, only I've never seen a carpet anemone with branching tentacles, and I didn't see the center of a rock anemone, just lots of edges folded over each other. Here's the best picture I got of it:

     

    8180971938_536edec007_b.jpg

    Turks and Caicos by davelewinn, on Flickr

  2. Beaded anemone (Epicystis crucifer)

  3. Beaded anemone (Epicystis crucifer)

     

    Just out of curiosity, what makes you certain? I actually considered E. crucifer, but rejected it because of the lack of a prominent mouth (or whatever you call the center region of an anemone without any tentacles).

  4. I would have guessed a branching anemone Lebrunia danae

     

     

     

     

    xvi30135.jpg

  5. I think Allison is right.

     

    Maybe you should go back and take some more pictures for us...isn't that a shame? ;)

  6. I would have guessed a branching anemone Lebrunia danae

     

     

     

     

    xvi30135.jpg

     

    Thanks-- that looks exactly like what I saw.

  7. Just don't run your bare fingers in its tentacles. It is one of the ones that will hurt ya!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.