Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 8-16mm; which extension ring?

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 8-16mm; which extension ring?

4 posts
  1. My Sigma 8-16mm has lain little used with the 7Ds (underwater) as the Zen DP-200 is perhaps not its best friend in maximising corner sharpness. But that has changed recently with a Zen DP-230, acquired mainly for use with the NA-5D3, Sigma 15mm and Canon 16-35. Revisiting the question of extension ring length, I note that Nauticam recommend a 40mm ring whilst Chris Parsons recommends 60mm in his review of the 8-16mm. A considerable difference... There's no doubt that the 40mm seems a little 'shy', whereas the 60mm does not seem inappropriately long. There's certainly no vignetting with the 60mm at the wide end.

     

    I do realise that the 8-16mm hasn't a big following on WP which is a big shame (though it would be difficult to justify a mega dome on DX to solely support the 8-16mm) asI don't think the potential of ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectilinear has been properly explored. Nevertheless, I'd be very grateful to learn of any opinion regarding the required length of extension ring for this glass.

     

    Many thanks, Tim

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  2. I tested the 8-16 with the DP230 with a 40 30mm and it worked well enough. Check out the pics in the 60D review.

    Edited by Drew
  3. Thanks for the heads up Drew. I confess that I hadn't looked at the 60D review...

  4. Opps I was mistaken. I only had the 30mm.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.