Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sigma 12-24 (Full Frame version)

Started by Binford23 ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Sigma 12-24 (Full Frame version)

7 posts
  1. I was wondering if anybody has any experience shooting the FF Sigma 12-24 lens underwater?

     

    What size dome would I need? If I'm remembering correctly, it has a similar focusing distance as the Nikon 16-35...

     

    Thank you.

  2. With a 120 degree AOV, this is glass is the FF equivalent of the Sigma 8-16 which I really enjoy using with a 7D. To get the best out of a ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectilinear a very large dome port is needed, like the Zen DP-230 and don't expect good corners at apertures wider than f/8. The new 250mm rectilinear port from Nauticam could be a game changer for this class of glass.

  3. Version II has been a disappointment. Very soft corners even @ f16 and the QC problem of inconsistent samples. I spent 1.5 hrs in 3 different stores testing 7 samples and none were as good as the original, which already wasn't fantastic. It suffers quite a bit from Cos4 vignetting in the corners as well. However, it is the ONLY lens that hits 122° and still works well for architecture. It's very sharp in the center though.

  4. If you like ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel) rectilinear then, presently, it's 'Hobson's choice'. I would dearly love to shoot with a Sigma 8-16mm equivalent on FX. Maybe I'll just get one and trade it when the MkIII appears. Next job will be to ask Edward Lai to make me a bespoke zoom gear...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  5. And just why does WP always put " (weitwinkel) " by default after each and every post which contains "ultra-wide (weitwinkel) (weitwinkel)" unsure.png . As if anyone is going to do a search using weitwinkel...laugh.png Look its done it again! rolleyes.gif

  6. I do think the 12-24 has its place in a camera bag. But it does have quite a bit of field curvature as well. I used PTlens, then DXO Pro to deal with the distortion. Once you go to 15-20mm, it's a good lens. 12-14mm is just average., but that's what you are buying it for. It does seem a bit better on lower MP cameras.

     

    Re: Weitwinkel: It's a Seacam joke from years ago.

  7. If its the only weitwinkel biggrin.png (rectilinear) tool on FX then we have to accept its short comings...

    Edited by Timmoranuk
Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.