Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Best macro setup for FF cameras like D800

Started by kmsellin ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Best macro setup for FF cameras like D800

13 posts
  1. Hi there,

     

    I am looking for a good macro setup to my D800. What have you guys tried and what did really work? I am talking about reall macro, not fish portrait. I am aiming for pygme seahorses, fish eggs, details on nudi´s and so on.

     

    Pls give some advice!

     

    Thanks!

     

    /Mattias

  2. Not a Nikon guy, but I think for those tiny things the 105VR plus either a subsee external diopter or a 1.4 teleconverter will get you in the right ballpark.

    Bill

  3. Sigma 150 Macro recreates the reach of the 105/100 in a crop cam. Crazy sharp lens, pretty much equal to the Canon/Nikon 100's. Then add a +10 external from Aquatica or Subsee

     

    S.

  4. If you don´t like cropping your pic, I would use a 1.7 TC (latest version) with 105VR and subsee lenses...

  5. Another lens is the Nikkor 70-180 mm micro lens with a 5T or 6T dry diopter, or a Inon or SubSee wet diopter.

  6. The best super macro setup I have used with the D800 is the 105mm VR with the Nikon 2x TC III. Then adding a Subsee +5 if needed. The latest Nikon's focus well with the 2x TC, so I am using that more and more and the 1.7x TC less and less.

     

    Alex

  7. The best super macro setup I have used with the D800 is the 105mm VR with the Nikon 2x TC III. Then adding a Subsee +5 if needed. The latest Nikon's focus well with the 2x TC, so I am using that more and more and the 1.7x TC less and less.

     

    Alex

     

    Thank Alex! Do you have any picture to show from this setup? How fast is the autofocus and what is the workingdistans? Do you think its big different if I use my Kenko 2x PRO 300 telekonverter compared with Nikon? In means of sharpness and autofocus.

     

    Thanks

     

    /Mattias

  8. Yes, I think the Nikon 2x AF-S III is in a different league to the Kenko 2x - but I have not done a back to back test.

     

    The AF-S is slower (and you loose some points and things like 3D tracking), but very useable on the D800. I tend to use AF-ON focus for super macro anyway.

     

    A couple of the shots in this D800 gallery on my website were shot with the converter - although everything looks good at screen res:

    http://www.amustard.com/Web_galleries/NikonD800_gal/

     

    Alex

  9. I have used the Kenko 2 x topside with the D800.

     

    It was so bad I have sold the TC :)

     

    Adam

  10. Hi,

    The use of teleconverters, does not make the focus slower?

    (i have 2 tc, one from nikon, (TC-20E III Teleconverter) heavier and do not fit in 60mm, and is much slower comparing with the kenko 2x teleplus pro 300 dgx, i think that does not compromise the quality of the zoomed image..)

  11. The AF difficulty kicks in once you start to focus very close to your subject. The 105VR is an f/2.8 macrolens, but when it's focussed at 1:1 the maximum opening is f/4.8. If you combine this with a 2X TC the maximum opening at closest focus becomes f/9.5, which is slow. But according to Alex´ findings still manageable on the D800. i still have to get a new extension ring so i can try myself. Topside it works if there is enough available light.

     

    Alex, did you do any 2:1 shots with the 105 + 2x TC? My guess is that you'll have to lock the focus and then focus manually, or do you use a strong focus light?

     

    Udo

  12. I don't know about either the 150mm, the Kento 2.0 T/C or a focus light. It appears that the minimum focus distance advantage of the 150 is offset but the longer lens so the actual working distance at 1:1 is about the same as the 105. (Someone check me if I am wrong.) I have also found that a good number of macro subjects like Pigmys and Blennies react to a focus light and either leave or turn away. The 105VR focuses much faster than the Sigma 150 and goes to f/32 as opposed to f/22 for the 150. I also did not find that the Kento 2.0 T/C worked very well with the 105 even topside.

     

    My solution (on a D-300) is a 105vr with a +10 sub see so I suspect that adding a Nikon 1.7 or 2.0 T/C would be about the same on a modern FF that autofocuses better than my D-300.

     

    I have a Sigma 150 and plan to use it mostly for subjects that won't let me get close enough as opposed to using it for 1:1 or super macro and I hope I will get equivilent supermacro shots to the 105/subsee.

     

    Tom

     

    PS: When shooting Pigmys I have my dive buddy shine a small flashlight on the subject from behind. This illuminates the subject enough for me to find it easily in my magnified viewfinder and causes the Pigmy to turn away from the light in my direction.

  13. What kind of a Focus Light do you need for a 105 & a 2x TC?

    I assume that you need something relatively strong.

    The worst case is of course when the Lense is at 1:1, due to the higher than f2.8 at that magnification.

     

    /Erik

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.