Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

How to open a DS50 (or DS51 or AF35...)?

Started by Deco Rico ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

How to open a DS50 (or DS51 or AF35...)?

4 posts
  1. Well it's been asked here before... but the poster only said he'd worked it out and didn't actually say how! Arrggghhh!#*%^!!!!!!

    http://wetpixel.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=38069

     

    So after removing the front plastic cover, the clear lens can be turned through a small angle.. but won't lift out or slide out.

    What next??

     

    Does the sync cord connector have to come off first, or perhaps the power knob on the back, or both?

     

    The DS50, DS51 and AF35 all look like the exact same mold... so I expect will be the same to take apart.

     

    Thanks... this is driving me nuts...

  2. I assume it is the same as the old Substrobes as the external design looks the same. If so, remove the ready light "window" - it should be a little dome shaped thing you can grip with a pair of pincers. It is just pushed in against an o-ring. Once removed insert something to give a gentle air supply - I used an old tyre footpump and the front of the flash just pops out. Make sure that unlike me you have fully unlocked the front lens - the first one I did I bust the lugs on it. Araldite saved the day!

     

    Hope this helps but must say I have never examined a DS model

  3. (Copy and paste from this thread on the same subject...)

     

    That's a great suggestion Jim. I really like the idea that the thing is just sucking itself together with a bit of negative air pressure! Explains a lot about the lack of visible fixings.

     

    Unfrotunately the design must have changed -- I can't see any way anything could fit around the ready-light on this one.

    It's flat, not dome shaped, and is slightly recessed into the back of the case and there is no gap even for very narrow tweezers :-(

     

    Thanks anyway, much apprecated.

Nauticam

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.