Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Anyone tested D800 and Nikon 14mm/2.8

Started by kmsellin ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

Anyone tested D800 and Nikon 14mm/2.8

16 posts
  1. Anyone tested D800 and Nikon 14mm/2.8? How was it?

  2. Hi, I used my Nikon 14mm / 2.8 today with Nikon D4 + Subal ND4 housing with EXR-20/4 extension tube and DP-FE4 dome. The conditions were not ideal (no ambient light) and some backscatter. With f3.2 it is soft from the corners, I did not try other f-stops to find how it would behave. This was my first dive with the lens in this setup and I will carry on experimenting in the future dives.

  3. Hi Guys

    I tried my D800 & 14mm lens on the weekend. Subal housing with 20mm extension ring.

    Have to say a bit disappointed with the results on the first outing. Very soft at the corners at f7.1 - f8.

    Seems to be some improvement at f22 but it's really not viable to shoot at that aperture all the time.

    Taking it out for another splash this weekend & will try & run some test shots at varying apertures.

    Cheers

    Craig

  4. Hi Guys

    I tried my D800 & 14mm lens on the weekend. Subal housing with 20mm extension ring.

    Have to say a bit disappointed with the results on the first outing. Very soft at the corners at f7.1 - f8.

    Seems to be some improvement at f22 but it's really not viable to shoot at that aperture all the time.

    Taking it out for another splash this weekend & will try & run some test shots at varying apertures.

    Cheers

    Craig

    Craig please,

    can you tell us which kind of dome have you fit on 20mm extension?

    thank you

  5. Hi VB

    Using DP FE/3

    Cheers

    Craig

  6. Hi all

     

    Tested my 14mm yesterday & took some sample images at varying apertures. Still not particularly happy with the results. The edge & corners are very soft even at f8. Sample photos below.

     

    I took some land shots as a comparision & found that the lens is quite soft at the edges at anything under about f8 but I would expect better results underwater than what I've got so far. Any hints/tips would be appreciated.

     

    Using D800, Subal housing, FE/3 port & EXR20.

     

    I'm waiting for an EXR for my 17-35mm f2.8 to arrive & it will be interesting to compare the two.

     

    Cheers

     

    Craig

     

    post-24215-0-90840900-1361677598_thumb.jpg

    post-24215-0-83646800-1361677600_thumb.jpg

    post-24215-0-56290200-1361677602_thumb.jpg

    post-24215-0-64361500-1361677604_thumb.jpg

    post-24215-0-06221500-1361677607_thumb.jpg

    post-24215-0-05735100-1361677610_thumb.jpg

    post-24215-0-83971200-1361677612_thumb.jpg

     

  7. Oh dear, not great. Longer extension? Or a diopter on the lens?

  8. Hi Alex

     

    Diopter is out of the question. This lens won't take filters.

     

    I did wonder about whether the extension ring is the correct length & the dealer is referring back to Subal in this regard.

     

    I was half inclined to give it a go without the extension ring (if the lens would fit) but I discovered much to my dismay that my FE/3 port will not fit directly onto my ND800 housing. The type 3 mount on the housing fouls the port preventing it attaching. Apparently I now need a new back for the port, retaining the same glass.

     

    Yet another nasty surprise from Subal!

     

    Cheers

     

    Craig

  9. Hi Alex

     

    Diopter is out of the question. This lens won't take filters.

     

    I did wonder about whether the extension ring is the correct length & the dealer is referring back to Subal in this regard.

     

    I was half inclined to give it a go without the extension ring (if the lens would fit) but I discovered much to my dismay that my FE/3 port will not fit directly onto my ND800 housing. The type 3 mount on the housing fouls the port preventing it attaching. Apparently I now need a new back for the port, retaining the same glass.

     

    Yet another nasty surprise from Subal!

     

    Cheers

     

    Craig

     

    A longer extension would be the direction I would try first.

  10. Same experience with Nauticam with 8.5" dome -I added a 20mm extention, but still really soft in the corners.

    The 16mm fisheye is sharp, so now I use that -but I really wanted to get the 14mm going -maybe I need to get the superdome and/or more extentions...

    I cannot find any reccomendations on the nauticam-website either, for which combo to use

     

    jono

  11. Thanks cneal

     

    I am waiting to see what Subal says but think maybe a 28mm might be the go. Unfortunately there's one distributor in Australia & pretty much every EXR needs to be specially ordered.

     

    Although no direct comparison, I know, the Canon 14mm on a 5DII needs a 40mm EXR. Canon's website says that lens is 94mm long & 114 degree view. Nikon 14mm is 86.5mm long with same view.

     

    jono I used to love my 10.5mm fisheye on my D300S - nice & sharp right across the frame. Can't buy a 16mm fisheye until I can fit the port to the housing though.

     

    Cheers

     

    Craig

  12. Just to comment on the Canon 14 mentioned above. We use a 20mm port extension on SEACAM superdome. Port extension is very specific to diameter of dome.

     

    As for the Nikkor 14mm with a dome port, it was bad in the film days and will fare no better on a D800.

  13. Hey guys

     

    I'm mulling over now moving from my present Subal ND30/D300 to the Subal ND800/D800.

     

    Although I do primarily macro, I do like the Tokina 10-17 for WA stuff underwater on the ND30/D300. Works a charm.

     

    So moving to macro on the ND800/D800 is not a problem. But what about WA? Sounds like the Nikkor 14mm isn't great. Options then seem to be the Nikkor 16mm? Or how about a Nikkor 16-35? Bit of a monster? I don't really want to go to the bulk of the Nikkor 14-24......

     

    Any thoughts?

  14. Tim, the sigma 15 fisheye is a better performer than the 16. Some people like to usethe10-17 with a 1.4 converter. For the 14-24 lovers, there is at least 1 new product in the works to combat the corner softness. Stay tuned past ADEX.

  15. yup! stay tuned. 4K footage in the works. "what's corner blur?" LOL

  16. Many thanks! I spotted on another forum that folks have been using the Tokina 10-17 with the D800 set on the DX crop. I hadn't thought of that. Doh. And I've got a TC 1.4 too.... so some things to try out first.

     

    ..... thanks for the Sigma 15mm tip. I'll take a look at that.

     

    But a DP-FE2 won't fit directly on a Type 3 mount on the ND800? Will it fit with a 20mm (or less) extension ring? How about a Type 4 mount and the adaptor to fit Type 3 ports?

     

    ... and then problems with focussing rings. Man, nothing is ever simple eh?!?!

     

    I thought one advantage of a switch to the ND800 would be using fibre optic links to Inon Z240s and then the ability to TTL (for macro). But I'm just waiting for someone to say "ahh, yes, it's not that simple......."

     

    :aggressive:

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.