Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Possibly the coolest photo vest - ever

Started by james ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Possibly the coolest photo vest - ever

9 posts
  1. I was at the HUPS Christmas party last night and ran into long-time dive buddy and 2013 HUPS V.P. Terry Moore. He travels a LOT for work and has made a purpose built photo vest like nothing I have ever seen. Here is some info from Terry:

     

    Just some info on the Jacket. It was made by a leatherman in Konduz Afghanistan. It cost me $150 for him to make. Its pockets were specifically designed to carry my camera, lenses, accesories, computer personal items etc etc. Since its a jacket, I have flown all over the place and never once have I been stopped and told I cant board the plane with it. Weight when full close to 50lbs. Countries flown in and out of USA, Australia, Papua New Guinea, Dubai, Afghanistan, FIJI, Guam, and many stops in between.

     

    Terry is a pretty burly guy, and with the vest on - use your imagination. He says that he can actually walk down a plane aisle with it, but that he has to scoot sideways.

     

    What do you guys think? I think it's pretty cool and definitely a way to "stick it to the man" when flying.

     

    Cheers

    James

    post-21-0-43920800-1354634433_thumb.jpg

  2. That may be something for me ...

    I just flew from Rome to Muscat, back to Rome and then Rome San Jose Costa Rica with about 20 lbs inside my photographers vest and 40 lbs in a photographic backpack.

    I always pray that they don't put my backpack on the scale and i learnd to show a "how nice to travel only with a light backpack" face while check-in even if my back is

    screaming for help....

    Anyway, a very cool vest!

    Chris

  3. That hardly looks like a vest ;-p . I also use a vest to fit everything I can. I am always thinking on making myself one with two pockets big enough for subtronics, which are the main big burden as the rest of the things (not counting the housing) fit in regular vest pockets or in my multipocket travel pants (another place with a lot of concealed room).

     

    249820_10150193313898317_1313953_n.jpg

  4. Does anyone know where one could get something like this in the states?

  5. Or if you're going to a tropical environment, lots of us like the Scottevest. It's really amazing what you can load into the thing.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  6. I've been looking at the Domke Photogs Vest.

     

    Cheers,

    Jim.

  7. Check out The Vested Interest in Denton, TX www.vestedinterest.com 800-928-0157

    My husband and I both have his custom made vests. You can add or leave off pouches or padding to your specifications. Made out of very strong parachute material that is very lightweight. He makes parachutes too. We've been very happy with ours.

    Judy Johnson

  8. +1 for the Stealth Gear jacket. I just got back from a trip to Newfoundland. Used it while shooting the Gannet Colony at Cape St. Mary's Ecological Reserve. Very weatherproof, stayed warm and dry while shooting in light rain and strong winds. It has huge pockets and even comes with a misquito net for your head. The arms are removable so the coat can be worn as a vest. Was able to carry a Nikon D7000 with 18 to 55mm lens attached and a 28 mm pc shift lens in one lower pocket, while the other lower pocket contained a 70-200mm f2.8 zoom lens along side a 300mm f4 lens with room to spare in both pockets. Lots of other pockets for things like gloves, compass, gps, glasses, small tablet etc. as well as dedicated pockets for cell phone and memory cards.

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.