Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Worth buying this setup? Ikelite Canon 7D

Started by sergei_vishovski ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Worth buying this setup? Ikelite Canon 7D

12 posts
  1. Hello Guys,

     

    I am not too sure whether I am posting in the correct section of the forum so please feel free to correct me or move my post.

    I am looking for a used underwater setup and believe it or not I do not have an SLR as of right now at all, so it is a bit easier for me to look at the used classifieds.

    A gentleman close to me is selling a setup and I feel like it is well priced for what it is but I wanted to hear some feedback from you guys.

    Here it is:

    • Ikelite underwater camera housing to fit Canon EOS 7D DSLR
    • Port
    • Port extension
    • Dome
    • Two Ikelite DS161 Strobes
    • Strobe attachment arms
    • Sync cable
    • All necessary accessories, spare parts, and user manual.

     

    When I asked him which dome it was he said he had the Tamron 17-50mm lens in there and he would find out which one it is exactly.

    Do you feel like this is a good setup for $2000.00?

    The seller seems to be genuine and answered all my questions and offered for me to try out the strobes etc.

    All feedback is much appreciated.

     

    Many thanks :)

    Sergei

  2. Seems like a reasonable price to me if all the equipment is functional (chargers for strobes, unscratched dome etc....).

     

    The real question is do you want a Canon 7D?

  3. Thanks for your reply.

    It seems to be a good camera from what I have heard and read online.

    Do you have any concerns with that setup or with the camera itself?

  4. Hello Guys,

     

    I am not too sure whether I am posting in the correct section of the forum so please feel free to correct me or move my post.

    I am looking for a used underwater setup and believe it or not I do not have an SLR as of right now at all, so it is a bit easier for me to look at the used classifieds.

    A gentleman close to me is selling a setup and I feel like it is well priced for what it is but I wanted to hear some feedback from you guys.

    Here it is:

    • Ikelite underwater camera housing to fit Canon EOS 7D DSLR
    • Port
    • Port extension
    • Dome
    • Two Ikelite DS161 Strobes
    • Strobe attachment arms
    • Sync cable
    • All necessary accessories, spare parts, and user manual.

     

    When I asked him which dome it was he said he had the Tamron 17-50mm lens in there and he would find out which one it is exactly.

    Do you feel like this is a good setup for $2000.00?

    The seller seems to be genuine and answered all my questions and offered for me to try out the strobes etc.

    All feedback is much appreciated.

     

    Many thanks smile.png

    Sergei

     

    My maths shows that to be over $4k worth, so it may be a bit too good pricewise if anything.

     

    That will be a quite large rig, but the strobes are quite powerful and have some video capability as well. If you're intending to travel with it, you might want to look for some of the smaller options.

  5. No, no concerns over the 7D.

     

    I'm not a Canon user so cannot comment on the camera - but for the 2 K price you can always consider not using the housing and selecting another before you invest in bodies and lenses.

  6. thanks for everyones input...i will be looking at the whole setup on monday and will make my final decision then...anything you guys can suggest in regards to possible problems with the strobes or housing? I mean what should I look out for when inspecting the items (obviously if pieces of plastic are broken off its not a good sign) but I mean are there any specific things you guys know about when testing the equipment?

     

    Thank you,

  7. It is a good deal if it works. Ikelite has very good service so whatever is wrong with the housing can be easily fixed. Check for scratches on the dome but, unless, they are serious it is not a big problem.

     

    The Tam 17/50 lense is not a normal choice for underwater so I would find out from ikelite what lenses will fit in the port setup.

     

    Simply have the guy show you how to set it up (meaning your hands on the rig) and take an above water shot, then submirse it in fresh water for a spell. A decent shot and no leaks is a go.

     

    I would not be suprised by a good deal. Often used rigs sell for less than many think they are worth.

  8. Thanks for the info Tom...I will do as you said and see what happens. :)

  9. That is a killer deal. The strobes are $1000 each. I have that setup and man I wish I could have gotten all that for $2k.

  10. Hey Seansrs968,

     

    So I ended up purchasing it, it really was an incredible deal...I came home and looked at it over and over again and it is in simply perfect condition. The dome has not a single scratch on it and neither does the flat port. Now I just need to buy the camera and a tokina 10-17mm.

    I have one question however: When you turn on the strobes they make a little buzzing sounds for like 3-4 seconds, almost like a start up sound..is that normal or should I send it out for service?

    Thanks.

  11. That's normal Sergei. Thats the capacitors charging up.

     

    Congrats on the new rig!

    Steve

  12. Thank you for your reply Steve :)

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.