Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 5d mk3

Started by Pete L ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 5d mk3

12 posts
  1. Hi everyone.

     

    I'm looking for some advice on a possible camera upgrade.

    I am looking at purchasing a canon 5d mk3 but i would like to know what lenses people are using & what you find works & more importantly, what doesn't work. Both macro & wide. Is anyone using the canon 17-40mm & what macro lenses?

    I am leaning towards an ikelite housing. Is anyone using one of these? Even a 5d mk2 version?

    Any feedback on the housing would be greatly appreciated also.

    Thankyou.

    Cheers pete.

  2. My staples are the 8-15, 16-35 II, 24-105 and 100L macro. On a tighter budget, the 15mm FE (Sigma(cheaper, better MFD) or Canon(slight faster and quieter AF)), 17-40 (a bit more distortion and corner softness than 16-35II) and the 100mm macro work very well.

    My experience with the Ikelite MkII housing was that it could not use the 16-35II. Can't remember much about the handling though, sorry. Good luck.

  3. Hi everyone.

     

    I'm looking for some advice on a possible camera upgrade.

    I am looking at purchasing a canon 5d mk3 but i would like to know what lenses people are using & what you find works & more importantly, what doesn't work. Both macro & wide. Is anyone using the canon 17-40mm & what macro lenses?

    I am leaning towards an ikelite housing. Is anyone using one of these? Even a 5d mk2 version?

    Any feedback on the housing would be greatly appreciated also.

    Thankyou.

    Cheers pete.

    Hi Pete,

     

    I have a 5D Mark III but not housed (yet). In terms of the camera, it has a lot of subtle but important improvements over the Mark II. AF is much better. High ISO noise also has a noticeable improvement. I've been using it with the 17-40 topside, but not yet underwater- from experience with the Mark II, you'll want as big a dome as you can afford to maximize corner sharpness and it's better with the aperture closed down. Apparently the 16-35 II is noticeably better, but quite a bit more expensive. For fisheye, the Canon 15mm, the new 8-15mm or the sigma 15mm all give good performance on this body. Macro likewise- either the 100mm or the IS L version are both good on this camera.

     

    As for housings- I used to use an Ikelite with the Mark II and while it worked fine, it's not the most ergonomic solution. I've since been using a Nauticam with the 7D, and it's a big improvement ergonomically, and in terms of durability.

    If you can afford it, something like a Nauticam is much nicer to use in my experience. If you get the chance have a play with different housings and you will get the idea.

     

    Hope that helps.

     

    Fergus

  4. Thanks for the responses. I think I might go with my original plan of a 7d as I believe the macro capabilities are better on the 7d & Sydney shore diving is mostly macro.

  5. APS is probably the better choice for predominantly macro shooting. Unless you shoot above ISO1600-6400 or require a top notch and super quick AF, the 7D will do fine.

  6. For the 5D Mk II & Mk III: the most frequently used lenses is see out there are the: Sigma 15mm, the Canon 16-35mm F/2.8L Type II or 17-40mm f/4L, and the 100mm Macro f/2.8

     

    For the 7D: it would be the Tokina 10-17mm, the Sigma 10-20mm or Canon 10-22mm and the Canon EFS-60mm f/2.8 or EF-100mm f/2.8

     

    With the 7D you could benefit, with many brand of housings, from optical S-TTL with your current INON Z-240, the 5D Mk III would be manual, except for Ikelite who has their own proprietary TTL circuitry inside their housing.

  7. Ok thanks everyone. I have decided to go for a 7D.

    I have picked up a good used nauticam housing from scubapix & will set it up for macro at this stage. When we travel next i will purchase a wide angle setup but for now a 60mm macro it is.

    Bring on the tiny critters of botany bay!!!!

  8. Enjoy!

  9. Thanks Alex, it's a big step having never used an SLR before but i'm sure both my wife & i will be very happy with it.

  10. I've recently upgraded to the 5d3. Am using an aquatica housing, 8-15mm (at 15mm only), 17-40mm and 100mm for macro.

     

    I've found the fisheye most relevant for close encounter marine life, eg shark feeds, as well as wrecks and caves. The 17-40mm I like for video as well as mid range shark shots, or people shooting.

     

    Regards, Damien

  11. Thanks Damien. You had a 7d at one stage didn't you?

    What lenses were you using underwater?

    I will definitely get a tokina 10-17 but what rectilinear lenses are good for wide angle?

    I have ordered a 60mm macro.

    Cheers pete.

  12. I shoot the 5D mk2 in an Ikelite. It is my 3rd Ikelite housing, and I like the fact you can fully use all the buttons on your rig. I also like the fact you can "see" a flood happening (if it does), instead of the "too late" alarm other housings have. If you keep your seals clean, you'll be fine.

     

    As to lenses, I use the 17-50, a 15mm fisheye, and a 100 macro (all Canon). You cannot fit a 16-35 2.8 lense in the housing (too large of a diameter).

     

    If you go ports on the macro, go with the modular macro port, the focus port (has knob, and useable on other lenses), and whatever else you need.

     

    I also have the large dome port, great for the wide-angle stuff.

     

    Ikelite upgraded to a 4 point lock system on their ports a couple of years ago.

     

    This is not to slam the aluminum ports, as they are obviously very nice. However, you won't feel bad when you upgrade bodies, then have to say goodbye to a $3000+ housing. The Ikelite accessories are also more modestly priced, for what it's worth.

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.