Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

tiny shrimp with 6 split fore-claws?

Started by echeng ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

tiny shrimp with 6 split fore-claws?

6 posts
  1. Does anyone recognize this shrimp? I have photographed it only once before. It is about the size of an algae shrimp (tiny!), and was in Triton Bay, Indonesia.

    echeng121205_194341.jpg

    echeng121205_194409.jpg

    echeng121205_194515.jpg

  2. No idea what this is, but I know that I never found one, and that its pretty darned awesome with the claws open! Sort of a porcelain crab gone shrimp!

  3. Neostylodactylus litoralis. Beautiful shots. The backlighting really shows the structure of the legs. With that amount of spinulation I suspect it's a filter feeder.

  4. Thank you, as always, Leslie. It was tiny tiny tiny, and there was some current. They were hard shots to get. :)

     

    OK, the books say "inshore hairy shrimp" matches that scientific name. :)

  5. That's very cool. Definitely looks like it is filter feeding in the first shot.

     

    And the bug floating past is probably a cyclopoid copepod - something like Oithona sp.

     

    Alex

  6. :-D I didn't even notice the copepod!

    Edited by Leslie
Retra

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.