Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Unknown Damsel

Started by JimG ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Unknown Damsel

6 posts
  1. Taken in Ari Atoll, Maldives

    post-2843-0-14018000-1355244101_thumb.jpg

    Edited by JimG
  2. Perhaps a sub adult Pacific Gregory (Stegastes fasciolatus)

  3. Chromis usually have a deeply forked tail fin. Looking at Randall's images of Chromis xutha on Fishbase it's hard to see the tail except in this image which shows a distinctive fork and streamers on the tail, so I don't think Chromis xutha is a match.

  4. Hi Brian,

     

    I think Jim's image is compatible with a forked tail and it definitely shows streamers from the upper tail tip. Stegastes also has a forked tail, but to my knowledge, never streamers. And Stegastes have a characteristic "protruding" snout with a very concave shape just below the mouth. Maybe Jim has another image that shows the tail better or still remembers what the fish looked like.

     

    Bart

  5. I had forgotten all about this one.

     

    I have other pics but they don't show the tail. I have lightened the dark areas and brought out the tail and will go along with C. xutha. I have found a fairly similar pic in Kuiter's Fishes of the Maldives.

     

    Many thanks Brian & Bart

    post-2843-0-86246100-1371461297_thumb.jpg

    Edited by JimG
Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.