Hi All,
I have recently bought the EM-5 and the Nauticam housing. I love the combo (I was using the G-12 for U/W before and the 5D Mk2 for land).
I shoot mainly natural light and always while FreeDiving.
I have bought the 9-18mm lens and the Nauticam 4inch port for it as a long awaited upgrade.
I have spent a month in Tonga and during that month shot hundreds of Whale and Freediving photos - all of them were not usable due to being super soft and not contrasty.
Most were shot on F5.6 on base ISO @1/160 and above.
After about two weeks I was told by Nauticam to use F8 and above but I know that past F5.6 on M43 you get diffraction and loose IQ... I tried anyway and the results were not much better. Corners were a bit better but center sharpness was not great any-more.
After the trip I have contacted the shop that sold me the lens and have received a new one.
This new lens seems much better but still - images are not really sharp or contrasty. DOF seems very shallow and only a tiny portion of the frame is actually in focus.
I shoot RAW (on the G12 as well) and the images actually look much better ooc from the G12 with a cheap Airdome...
I also tried shooting with a strobe and although it is slightly better - its not good (not for a 4K setup).
Anything that is not 100% in the middle of the frame is not sharp.
Zooming to 11mm results in slightly better sharpness but defeats the point of having a wide angle lens.
I am happy to post high Rez versions but just to show the general idea - the closer shot was on 9mm with the whale around 3m away in clear water.
What am I doing wrong?
I was Told to use a larger dome (to get better edge sharpness), told to buy a fisheye, told to buy the 7-14mm.....
As most of my work involves shooting Freedivers I wanted the zoom lens to allow a bit of flexibility..
I have seen some amazing shots with the EM-5. I love the camera but am very frustrated at the moment..
Thank you very much,
Erez