Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

ID of pygmy pipefish?, Arrow crab? and two shrimps

Started by vigfus ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

ID of pygmy pipefish?, Arrow crab? and two shrimps

7 posts
  1. Hi guys,

     

    Sorry for the double posting.

    I spotted this tiny (2-3? cm) pipefish on a day dive in a bit of current in Lembeh, Indonesia.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/8255045786/in/set-72157632194977305

    A friend thinks it's Pygmy Pipedragon [Kyonemichthys rumengani], but I don't think so. I checked poppe-images.com (despite it being for Philippines) since it had quite a few pipefish, but no luck :/

     

    The second one (fairly big so maybe 5-8? cm incl. the legs (from Malapascua, Philippines)) I'm trying to ID someone called an Arrow crab, but shouldn't he have a longer chainsaw-like snout to be an arrow crab or can they be without them?

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/8249743011/in/set-72157632183080671

     

    The third one I'm trying to ID is some sort of anemone shrimp (1-2 cm? from Dauin, Philippines)

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/8250801288/in/set-72157632183080671

     

    The last one is a quite common shrimp (a few cm and also from Lembeh) that usually doesn't bother too much about cover.

    http://www.flickr.com/photos/svpv9704/8253968033/in/set-72157632194977305

     

    Sizes are pure guesses on my part.

    Best Regards,

    Vigfus

  2. Nice shots! I like the arrow crab a lot. I don't have an ID for these, but I do want to offer a tip - its easier for everyone if you include the photos in your post. Just click "Share" from Flickr, click "Grab the HTML/BBCode", click BBCode, copy and paste:

     

     

    8255045786_397b9db46a.jpg

    IMG_4129.jpg by svpv9704, on Flickr

     

     

    8249743011_c1e3300fb7.jpg

    IMG_6404.jpg by svpv9704, on Flickr

     

     

    8253968033_19788df234.jpg

    IMG_3348.jpg by svpv9704, on Flickr

     

     

    8250801288_f533f60c91.jpg

    IMG_5834.jpg by svpv9704, on Flickr

  3. 2 is a spider squat lobster such as Chirostylus sandyi or Chirostylus stellaris or Chirostylus dolichopus.

     

    3 is a magnificent shrimp, Ancylomenes magnificus.

     

    4 is a mushroom coral shrimp, Cuapetes kororensis.

  4. Thanks for the very informative reply troporobo! I will do so in the future.

     

    Thanks for the help with the ID Nick!

     

    Best Regards,

    Vigfus

  5. The pipe thing is not a pipedragon, but a Pygmy pipehorse. My guess would be a short pouch pipehorse.

     

    Cheers Bent

  6. Thanks for the help Bent!

     

    Best Regards,

    Vigfus

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.