Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

T2i or 7d or 5d - Help me pick!!!

Started by nirv996 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

T2i or 7d or 5d - Help me pick!!!

4 posts
  1. I currently have a T2i with Aquatica housing and Tokina 11/16.

    I love the setup and it has been great.

    I am in New York for a long weekend and I am thinking about purchasing/moving up to a 7d or possibly and nice used 5d .

     

    My primary photography is wreck photos in the Great Lakes. So far I have only shot with ambient light (which I like).

    I would like to contiinue to do the same in the future. Lowlight performance is very key for me.

     

    I could really use some suggestions or comments. This site has been great and has been what got me the bug.

     

    Do I move up to the 7d or 5d? I believe I can use my current lenses from the T2i with 7d which is a plus.

     

    Any suggestions or comments are greatly appreciated.

     

    Thanks

    Andy

    Ontario,canada

  2. Which 5d are you referring to? I've never shot the T2i but I currently shoot the 7D and 5dmk3 as well as having owned the 5dmk1 & 2 and have shot all except the mk3 underwater. For noise performance, the 7D and 5dmk1 are close, especially given the 7D has 50% more pixels. The 5dmk2 has about a stop and a bit better high ISO than the 7D and the 5dmk3 has another stop and half better than the mk2. The mk2 and mk3 do perform slightly better at shallow sunballs than the 7D. You can use your current T2i lenses with the 7D. Another big difference is AF performance. The T2i won't be as good as the 5dmk2, but the 7D does blow away the 5dmk2 and the 5dmk3 blows away the 7D's af.

     

    Regardless, your Aquaview is usable with the Aquatica 7D, 5dmk2 & mk3 Housings.

     

    S.

  3. Thanks stewart.

    The 5D I am looking at is the Mark II.

    I am leaning to the 7d because I can use some of my currently lenses and the Aquaview that I have on my housing.

    I shoot alot of ambient light so that is why I like the extra stop and low light performance of the 5D.

    Thanks for info. Great advice so far.

     

    Andy

  4. Andy,

     

    You can still use the Aquaview with the Aquatica A5dmk2 housing. FF cameras don't play well with smaller domes so you should also factor in the cost of at least the 8" dome if you don't have one yet. One other thing, though not so important since you're an ambient shooter is that the 5D's don't have a popup flash so they're limited to electrical sync cords while the 7D (and your T2i) had the ability to use Optical sync cords and hence TTL strobe exposure.

     

    S.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.