Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Minidome, Zen or Hugyfot ?

Started by Steen Nissen ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Minidome, Zen or Hugyfot ?

2 posts
  1. Hi all,

    I am thinking of buying me a minidome to use with a Tokina 10-17, both with and without a TC. I shoot a D90 in a Hugyfot housing. I have been looking at the Zen minidome, as it seems to be the most popular one, but now i see that Hugyfot has their own version of a minidome.

    The Hugyfot is slightly larger than the Zen, 125 vs 100 mm. Is that an issue ?

    Anybody knows if there is any difference between the two, regards to image quality ?

    Will I be able to use any of the two to ordinary fisheye photography, or are they strictly for CFWA ?

    Wich one would you buy ?

     

    Thank you, and a happy New Year to all of you

     

    Steen

  2. Steen,

    i was asking Zen about the minidome and got the following answere:

    Hello Chris,

     

    We do build domes in the Hugyfot mount, but I have not been able to test this on a D800 housing to confirm that there isn't any mechanical interference with a control. Supporting Hugyfot has been a pretty big headache, with varied tolerance in housing mounts and control placements / throw.

    None of the mini-domes are compatible with Sigma 15mm unless you cut the shade off, leaving Zen DP-230-H for Hugyfot ($1899) as the best product.

    Please contact Ryan @ glass@zenunderwater.com for a correct and extensive answer regarding ZEN domes.

     

    I am using the Hugyfot Minidome on my D800 and the Sigma 15mm and i am very happy with it.

    I personally don't see a rason why the slightly bigger Hugyfot dome should be a issue, except of packing space limitations

    You will be able to do all kind of wide angle photography, from cfwa to ffwa, the only thing to check very well is that the

    combination of camera, housing, lens and the dome you choose will work without the hated soft corner problem.

     

    Chris

Backscatter

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.