Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ideas for upgrade

Started by MyLensandMore ·

  • 1Posts
  • 1Replies

Read-only discussion

Ideas for upgrade

1 posts
  1. Hey All,

     

    I have been an avid photographer for many years. My underwater camera equipment for the last 7yrs has been the Olympus C-5060, Ikelite housing, DS-125 and DS-50 dual strobes. While I have been very pleased with the results, the limitations and slow autofocus is driving me toward finally upgrading.

     

    Can someone tell me how to create a forum on this site? I want to pose the below question.

     

    Time To Upgrade:

     

    I am looking at two possible routes and I would like some feedback what is the best solution knowing any additional changes would not take place for another 6-7yrs.

     

    Option 1: Make a complete overhaul with the new Olympus OM-D E-5 with Nauticam housing, Sea & Sea YS-D1 dual strobes with arms, and 60mm and 8mm lenses? Approximately $6,000 upgrade. This is more costly, but it offers a much lighter and travel friendly option.

     

     

    Option 2: Use my existing Nikon D7000 and purchase the Ikelite housing, port assembly, 105mm, 60mm, Tokina 10-17mm lenses and 1.4x teleconverter. Approximately $5,000 upgrade. This is less expensive, but I can use my existing Ikelite strobes since I just purchased the DS-160. The new lenses can also make above water photography more appealing.

     

    Please assist in providing ideas, options, and alternatives for someone who is interested in macro photography with the flexibility for wide angle.

     

    Thanks!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.