Skip to content

Beginner Forum / Archived topic

Aperture comparison of micro-four thirds vs DSLR

Started by FranzoMCK ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Aperture comparison of micro-four thirds vs DSLR

4 posts
  1. Hi,

    recently I got my new Olympus OM –D with the 12-50 mm lens kit and a Nauticam Housing, it is my first time with a mirrorless micro 4/3 system.

    I would like to know if the depth of field and the f stops are similar to the DSLR cameras?

    Thanks.

  2. Depth of field is also affected by the focal length and sensor format.

    My question originates when I was reading Martin Edge, The Underwater Photographer, Fourth edition 2010. . Page 152 , and he makes the following postulate:

    “Being much smaller than SLRs in terms of lens and sensor size, etc., apertures have different values. For readers using digital compacts underwater, I would like you to relate a compact aperture of f4 as being comparable with f8 on an SLR ”

    Since 4/3 is an intermediate format between compact and DSLR, could I assume then that f 4 in Compacts is similar to f 5.6 in 4/3 and f8 in DSLR?

    thanks again

     

     

  3. As an approximation you are correct.

     

    This shot with a fisheye on M43 at f/5.6. To achieve similar depth of field and corner sharpness I would have used f/8-9 on DX (APS-C) and f/11-13 on FX (full frame).

     

    MEX12_am-11943a.jpg

     

    Alex

  4. Thank you Dr. Alex, you are the Boss !!!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.