Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Overwhelmed external hard drive with D800 raw files

Started by eyu ·

  • 14Posts
  • 14Replies

Read-only discussion

Overwhelmed external hard drive with D800 raw files

14 posts
  1. I mistakenly downloaded too many raw files on my LaCie 500 GB external hard drive and have exceeded its capacity with large D800 files (darn mega files). Now when I plug the hard drive into my MacBook Pro it does not show up on my desktop and I cannot access my raw files in lightroom. The external hard drive is formatted in Mac OS extended. I have tried disc utility to verify the disk, but cannot. I am thinking if I could just delete the last download the drive would be ok.

     

    What should I do?????sad.png

     

    Elmer

  2. cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  3. cry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

     

    I've done that and it did not help.

  4. Pray!

    uncool OS rendering a disk unusable if too much data is loaded on it .... ??? !!!

    Usually a OS should NO load too much data and especially NOT kill the disk because of that, not even Mac OS.

    I don't understand Mac OS but i belive that the disk just died because of the large/long writing on it.

    You may try to connect it to a PC or Linux PC to see if the disk become readable, bt i fear it won't ... :-(

    Las chance will be a data recovery service, but prepare for a hefty bill.

    Chris

  5. I am crying for you. Oh no!!!!

  6. That really sucks. Hopefully it will be a warning to others at least, Elmer.

     

    I fear that we'll be seeing a few "D800 makes a mess of my laptop/hard drive" this year.

     

    Alex

  7. A bit odd: how did you write to the drive? I note that the LaCie software allows you to partition the drive to a shared section and an unshared one. Have you set up your hard drive in that way? If so, which partition is your data in?

  8. A bit odd: how did you write to the drive? I note that the LaCie software allows you to partition the drive to a shared section and an unshared one. Have you set up your hard drive in that way? If so, which partition is your data in?

     

    The external drive is not partitioned, it is formatted in OS extended. I guess I am spoiled with Mac's, thought it would warn me that there was not enough disc space. Will try to hook it up to a PC and see if I can delete the last entry.

  9. I have tried to reproduce your results and with either a LaCie or any other external drive that I have (4 types) I can not exceed the disk size with Mountain Lion or Lion. I just get the "not enough space" error message.

    I would get a copy of drive genius and see if you can take a look at the drive with that software.

     

    Bill

  10. How did you download the files? Using the same Mac Book Pro? I have never seen this problem, but I guess whatever the reason, you could do it by overloading with any file, not just D800 files. Have you tried seeing if the drive will mount on other Macs?

  11. Surely a data recovery company will be able to help? I 'lost' some important files on an external drive which where easily recovered at modest cost.

     

    Alternatively, jump ship and benefit from the lesser file sizes of the 5D3, Ooops, I just strayed into the Nikon v Canon area. I'll get my coat...

  12. Alternatively, jump ship and benefit from the lesser file sizes of the 5D3, Ooops, I just strayed into the Nikon v Canon area. I'll get my coat...

    He, he - and give up all that quality and dynamic range? smile.png

    But seriously what does the size of the file have to do with the problem. Any drive will eventually fill up with any size file if there are enough of them, of course fewer files required - but it seems this is a drive or software problem not related to the size of the files.

    Edited by loftus
  13. Elmer, as Bill says, your drive is probably the problem and not the OS, especially if it's not mounting. If you are lucky, the volume directory is damaged and programs like Disk Warrior or Techtool Pro may rescue it.

    If you are unlucky and it's a physical problem, then a data recovery service may be your only hope. You can also try Data Rescue, which searches sector by sector for files. Takes a while though and it isn't always successful. Good luck.

  14. I thank everyone for their suggestions. I tried another Mac, no go, the drive did not show up on the desk top and disc utility could not verify the disc. Will next try to hook it up to a PC, but I am sure you are right, the disc got corrupted somehow. If the PC does not work I will send it a Mac geek for a diagnosis and hopefully a good prognosis. Yuk, I hate it when one of my toys breaks!!!

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.