Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Canon 10-22mm with 6 inch doom

Started by marc1990 ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Canon 10-22mm with 6 inch doom

3 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I am considering buying canon 10-22mm and wil use it with 6 inch doom(ikelite). Now the question: most people say you need at least 8 inch, but because of transport isseus 8 inch not a option.

    So is it worth to use 10-22mm inside 6 inch doom?

    I now use sigma 18-50 2.8 EX DC macro and have never notice any problems with sharpness.(6 inch doom)

    I know there are other lenses, but that is an other topic.

  2. marc.

     

    I would definitaly recommend the 8inch.

    I am using an ikelite housing for a canon 20d. I also have the 10-22 mm, and without a diopter on around f5.6 it does suffer from fuzzy (unsharp) corners (Havent tried the diopter yet.). That will be worse with a 6 inch dome.. Your better guess would be a fisheye type lens (sigma 15mm or tokina 10-17mm), they dont seem to suffer from that problem as much.

  3. I shoot the 10-22mm behind a Zen 200mm dome and it performs quite well at f/5.6 or smaller. But to be fair, its my DX lens of choice for pelagics / sharks so corners are not that important when shooting into the blue. If you need detailed corners I very much suspect that a 6" port will not deliver with the Canon glass and as Gerard suggests, you may wish to consider a Tokina, but with a Kenko x1.4 which will give you the reach of the 10-22mm and largely mitigate the barrel distortion of the fisheye. Your 6" port won't be too shabby for CFWA shots with the Tokina / Kenko combo too. Remember, rectilinears need big domes for sharp corners and for definitive advice, please take a look at Alex Mustard's presentation at DEMA -

     

    HTH, Tim

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.