Hi Everyone!
After many years I am re-entering the world of underwater photography. This necessitates the need for some new gear (or new to me) and this is where I could use your help.
I do a lot of top side photography and have a small side business doing architectural and interior design work. My current Camera is a 5D Mark II. My thinking regarding options goes like this:
OPTION #1
CAMERA: My current 5D Mark II
HOUSING: used housing, Aquatica or similar
STROBE: Have my current Ikelite DS-125 strobe refurbished by Ikelite to DS-160 spec
PORTS: Start with Macro, purchase new/used port for my current EF 100 2.8 USM
ADVANTAGES: Lower cost due to used housing and using existing camera
DISADVANTAGES: 5D Mark II is an old model so this underwater set-up will have a shorter operational life, resulting in more costs when I upgrade camera for Architecture
OPTION #2
CAMERA: Sell 5D Mark II, buy new 5d Mark III
HOUSING: New housing, Aquatica or similar
STROBE: Have my current Ikelite DS-125 strobe refurbished by Ikelite to DS-160 spec. could also sell D2-125 and purchase new Inon's
PORTS: Start with Macro, purchase new/used port for my current EF 100 2.8 USM
ADVANTAGES: Longer operational life as this is a brand new model, will use camera for architectural work, ability to recover some costs through sale of old camera.
DISADVANTAGES: higher initial cost, manageable through a phased purchase approach with means longer time before photographing underwater
My primary concern is if I go with my current camera then I will be locked into using an older system for some time.
Does anyone have thoughts or experience with this type of decision?
Thanks in advance for your responses.