Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

How do the Tokina / Kenko and Canon 8-15 / Kenko compare?

Started by Timmoranuk ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

How do the Tokina / Kenko and Canon 8-15 / Kenko compare?

3 posts
  1. I shoot with the Tokina / Kenko combo on my 7Ds but am considering the Canon 8-15 and Kenko for use on my 5D3 to take advantage of the better dynamic range and low light capabilty of the FX format.

     

    I'm interested to know if the addition of a Kenko x1.4 will allow the 8-15 to zoom throughout the focal range without vignetting and how does the FOV and minimum focus distance compare with the Tokina and Kenko on DX.

     

    I can't say that I'm particularly keen on the circular fisheye images the 8-15 produces (sans Kenko) and I'm quite happy with the Sigma 15mm for wide angle fisheye. My rationale for acquiring the 8-15 will be for shooting CFWA and with a Zen DP-100 dome on the FX format.

     

    Many thanks, Tim

    Edited by Timmoranuk
  2. Tim that combo will vignette throughout about 50 % of the range. If you have the limit switch on it is useable for about 95% of the range. For that reason I haven't bothered to try and use it underwater. It would be intersting to try the 8-15 with a 2.0 teleconverter providing you can get the zooming gear and port extensions figured out.

    HTH, Andre

  3. Thanks Andre. Its much as I expected and that the 'wide end' of the combo isn't practical probably negates its use for CFWA. For me, I don't see a rationale for shooting the 8-15 with a x2 TC as I have the Canon 16-35, unless it were to obviate the need to travel with a mega dome.

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.