Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

I have my D800 - Now for the glass..... Suggestions?

Started by VizBiz ·

  • 16Posts
  • 16Replies

Read-only discussion

I have my D800 - Now for the glass..... Suggestions?

16 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I have jump in and bought a Nikon D800.

    I had a D300 with the below lens options:

    • Nikon 60mm Macro AF-S
    • Nikon 105mm Macro AF-S (VR)
    • Tokina 10-17mm AT-X 107 AF DX
    • Tamron B003 18-270Di II VC LD (F/3.5 - 6.3)

     

    I am going to sell:

    • Tokina 10-17mm AT-X 107 AF DX
    • Tamron B003 18-270Di II VC LD (F/3.5 - 6.3)

     

    I am looking for a nice wide angle to replace the 10-17. I have a 8” dome port to use with it. What are people using? What are my options to use the camera in full FX?

    I am looking at:

    • Nikon AF-S 14-24mm f/2.8G ED IF Lens
    • Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR
    • Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 IF ED Lens

    This is my preferred lens - Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR.

    Cheers

  2. While all of your favoured lenses will work behind a 8" dome the general opinion is that they produce much nicer results behind 9" or bigger Glass Domes.

     

    There has been much discussion about the 14-24 vs 16-35 for underwater with the general vote heading to the 16-35.

     

    If you have the Ikelite System you port choices are are much more limited

     

    Modular - 8" Dome

    Requires:

    — 5510.45 dome assembly

    — 5510.28 port body

     

    dot_clear.gif

    Edited by pmooney
  3. OK, Thanks, I had seen mosts post saying the same.

     

    Cheers

  4. While all of your favoured lenses will work behind and 8" dome the general opinion is that they produce much nicer results behind 9" or bigger Glass Dome. There has been much discussion about the 14-24 vs 16-35 for underwater with the general vote heading to the 16-35. If you have the Ikelite System you port choices are are much more limited Modular - 8" Dome Requires: — 5510.45 dome assembly — 5510.28 port body dot_clear.gif

     

    One comment about the 16-35 with an Ikelite 8" dome. The .28 port body does not work well at all and will produce unacceptably bad edges. Others have suggested that a body & extension combo that is about 2.5 cm longer that the .28 body is needed for decent results. I've tried the .28 solution and can verify the poor results, but have not had a chance yet to confirm result with a longer extension.

  5. Nooooo - it was ment to be an easy question.....!!! Lol.....

     

    Things I can't change:

    8" Ikelite port

    D800

     

    So what is going to work best with what I have?

     

    Another lens I have not thought of?

     

    Cheers

     

     

  6. Shoot Macro :)

  7. The 15mm Sigma or Nikon 16mm will be your best option; they should both work well with a 1.4TC as well, you will get better corners most likely in the 8" dome.

  8. Sigma 15mm and 1.4 kenko Pro. Really good choice for D800!

  9. I use the Sigma 15mm and like this lens very much but she is tricky to use in a housing as she is very short and may vignette.

    My friend and probably italys best undewater photographer use the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR and prefer it

    over the Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 IF ED Lens for price and sharpness.

    The professione series Nikon AF-S 17-35mm f/2.8 IF ED Lens would be probably slightly better on land but the Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 16-35mm f/4G ED VR

    is a excellent and light lens for a very good price.

    Chris

     

    P.S You should look around for a galls dome or a mini dome, you got engaged to a very demanding lady and she need only the best ....

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  10. Sigma 15mm and 1.4 kenko Pro. Really good choice for D800!

     

    It hasn't worked for me...

     

    ... what dome/extension have you used?

     

    You should look around for a galls dome or a mini dome, you got engaged to a very demanding lady and she need only the best ....

     

    I think that the FX lenses really hate mini-domes...

  11.  

     

    It hasn't worked for me...

     

    ... what dome/extension have you used?

     

    Nikon d800, sea and sea housing, 240dome or optical dome works. (but optical you have to remake Sun shade)

     

    I think that the FX lenses really hate mini-domes...

  12. While all of your favoured lenses will work behind a 8" dome the general opinion is that they produce much nicer results behind 9" or bigger Glass Domes.

     

    There has been much discussion about the 14-24 vs 16-35 for underwater with the general vote heading to the 16-35.

     

    If you have the Ikelite System you port choices are are much more limited

     

    Modular - 8" Dome

    Requires:

    — 5510.45 dome assembly

    — 5510.28 port body

     

    dot_clear.gif

     

    Hi,

     

    So what issues am I going to see?

     

    Cheers

  13. TDPriest,

    yeah a FF 36mp camera record (too m) any details, also the ones we don't want to see ...

     

    My Sigma 15mm works nice with the new 4 screw Hugyfot minidome and there is only a very small stripe of the upper shade visible.

    The 105mm micro VR works very well too but it seems that the 16-35 and 17-35 need a special dome (as most zoom lenses).

    Chris

    Edited by ChrigelKarrer
  14. Nikon D800, S&S MDX housing, Nikon 16-35VR, 2x40mm exstension rings, Port 240. This work perfect.

  15. Hi Kmsellin

     

    I've tried the 16-35 with the 240 dome port with only 60 mm' ext' and was a bit disappointed - the center is very sharp but not the edges at F/8/11/13/16.

    Sea&sea do recommend 80 mm ext'. can you upload some examples taken with your rig, please ?

    Edited by udi62
  16. Going to try the 10-14 with a 1.4 TC first. Cheers all

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.