Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Newbie Strobe Positioning

Started by bmorescuba ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Newbie Strobe Positioning

3 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I'm a relative newbie, and very much a newbie with a strobe. Here is my setup:

     

    Canon G12

    Canon WP-DC34 Underwater Housing

    BigEye WA Wet Lens (http://www.fantasea..../it.A/id.410/.f)

    One Sea & Sea YS-110a strobe

    iDas arms and clamps

     

    I have read a lot about strobe positioning but I don't seem to be getting it. Attached are some random snaps from a recent trip that illustrate a common issue I'm having. It seems as if the strobe is being reflected by the wide angle adapter and causing hotspots or flares of sorts. It doesn't happen on all the shots, but I experiment a lot with angles and can't consistently remember what position yields what result. I can often crop it out, but not always. And I'd really like to have a better sense of why this is happening and what I can do to prevent it.

     

    Thanks!

    post-24977-0-79972000-1359079312_thumb.jpg

    post-24977-0-13229800-1359079319_thumb.jpg

    post-24977-0-69226400-1359079674_thumb.jpg

  2. It looks possible that your strobe is positioned in front of the port and causing a reflection. If so it should be moved behind that plane.

     

    In the first two images, I don't see much evidence that the strobe even illuminated the scene, which suggests it is not aimed at all correctly.

     

    Try reading through these brief guides:

     

    http://www.uwphotogr...obe-positioning

     

    http://www.divephoto...be-positioning/

    Edited by troporobo
  3. Im not sure if its a reflection, could it be an air-bubble trapped inside your Bigeye?

     

    One thing I would suggest that you work on is getting closer (much closer).

     

    Also you need to realize that with your setup there are certain limitations, that fan on your first shot looks really big, you should try to find subjects that are for sure no bigger than 60x40 cm (ish).

    Even when I am shooting with my 10mm fisheye (a lot "wider" than your setup) on my DSLR with 2x strobes I look for small subjects that I can get really close to, its really really rare that I shoot something much bigger than 1meter across.

     

    Good luck!

    -Morten

Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.