Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

D800 Crisis!

Started by John Bantin ·

  • 18Posts
  • 18Replies

Read-only discussion

D800 Crisis!

18 posts
  1. Just returned from a long trip and find I cannot convert any of the NEF files taken with the D800.

     

    I have used this camera successfully since last August. I have got the latest ACR but no luck. I can see the thumbnails in View NX2 but cannot open anything.

     

    Has anyone else had this problem?

     

    Is there a solution?

     

     

    Thnks.

  2. Are you saying that in August you could open them and now they won't open with the same software? LR 4.3 certainly opens them.

    Bill

  3. So now I'm back home in the UK.

     

    I downloaded the cards directly to another laptop via Nikon Transfer. Everything is OK. I transfered these files back to the offending laptop. All OK. However, when I try to download the cards directly to the offending laptop, they will not open. Ergo: It's Nikon Transfer on that laptop that is corrupting the files.

     

    It seems a backup laptop is essential if using Nikon Transfer !!!

    Edited by John Bantin
  4. You might not have the right drivers installed in that computer. That was a problem a while back with some larger cards.

  5. What's intriguing is the fact that I have done four previous trips away with the identical computer/camera/card combination and had no problem before. No other software has been added either so I guess that Nikon Transfer (2) has just thrown a wobbly.

    Edited by John Bantin
  6. Experienced same kind of problem with two different laptops. Attributed it to faulty cards and one external drive. Thx for raising the issue John. Will do some additional tests... Think I am going to switch to Canon grrrrrr.....

     

    Should ask my friends from Canadian Press News Agency.... They recemtly switched their entire stable of Canon products to Nikon...

     

    Where are my Kodachrome and Nikonos?

  7. Just don't use Nikon ViewNX or other Nikon transfer software.

    I copy and past my files from the card to the had disk and open them then with Lightroom.

    Chris

  8. Have you changed cards? There are some card issues particularly with Nikon Software. Nikon software sucks. I have not had a single issue with downloads on Aperture, and have not heard of any with Lightroom. Even just using Bridge is probably a better alternative to Nikon Software. Niko Capture on the other hand seems to work fine, but even then capturing directly into Aperture works even better, as I am sure is the case with Lightroom.

  9. When I first got a D700, there was no option but to use the Transfer software. I met Rene Lippman out in Bali who had a new D300 and could not drag and drop as he had with his D200 so he had to load the Nikon software too. Nobody told me I could drag and drop now and open with CS6. Thank goodness I can!

    Edited by John Bantin
  10. We simply dragged and dropped files in Windows. Then we opened some of them in Capture NX2... but we had our laptop a version that was probably dated. (We never had the problem on the main computer in our studio since we installed the latest versions last July. We are also keeping a close look on the memory cards. All are Sandisk.

  11. We simply dragged and dropped files in Windows. Then we opened some of them in Capture NX2... but we had our laptop a version that was probably dated. (We never had the problem on the main computer in our studio since we installed the latest versions last July. We are also keeping a close look on the memory cards. All are Sandisk.

     

    I nearly dropped my D800 out of Windows, I was so frustrated! Thank goodness I wear a Mac.

  12. Always feel we should go Mac... Multimedia software keeps us in Windows environment despite our stable of iPods, iPhones and iPads... Someday...

  13. You mention ACR in your description of the problem. Just to clarify, ACR - Adobe Camera Raw - is an Adobe product. It has nothing to do with Nikon software. Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Lightroom, etc., require it for raw file processing.

     

    It is no longer recommended to use the standalone Nikon Transfer program. Use Transfer that is part of ViewNX 2. Nikon says the standalone Transfer software is "for older computers only." (You will have to click on "Nikon Transfer" or scroll down to the Nikon Transfer section to see it.)

     

    In Nikon's description of ViewNX 2, they state (last bullet), "Please note that the transfer function will not transfer images from serial connected cameras. Use of a memory card reader is recommended." You did not mention how you were transferring, but I thought I'd mention it.

     

    You may know all of this but I was not clear on how you were actually trying to transfer your images.

  14. Thanks Water Buffalo. I have been using a card reader since I got the D800. That was one of the first things I discovered. I now know to drag and drop just as I did with the D200 instead of using Nikon Transfer2. For a time you couldn't do that (with CS4?) but I'm up and running again. Thanks everyone. I've still got the D800. I didn't toss it out of the window in frustration.

  15. The D800 has a very speedy USB 3.0 port and can be directly plugged into any laptop with a USB 2.0 or 3.0 port. You can then drag and drop the files directly to your storage device of choice. You don't need to use a separate card reader if you don't have one available. The D800 (and every other Nikon DSLR I've ever used) is a card reader when plugged in to USB. On your computer you should see it mount as just another Disk.

  16. Sting Ray. I haven't tried since August but I'll give that another go - although I always take the cards out during a trip to use as back-up (luckily as it happens) so it's no imposition to use a separate card reader.

  17. As you were - Nikon Transfer 2 uninstalled and re-installed on the offending laptop and all's right with the world!

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.