Skip to content

Conservation and the Environment / Archived topic

Bridge from Sharm to Saudi - work started

Started by stewsmith ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Bridge from Sharm to Saudi - work started

4 posts
  1. If the bridge has a toll fee, as it probably will, it (Egypt / Saudi) will do well out of the '000s of north African prigrims wishing to do Hajj. However the span across the straights will be a feat of engineering, not least to enable the access of very large vessels to the Gulf.

  2. If built, you can kiss goodbye to the reefs in the Strait of Tiran: they're obvious sites to place supporting pylons.

     

    I see from the link that environmental concerns are widely held to be Westerners expressing anti-Islamic prejudice.

     

    I'm starting to think that I shall never go back to the Red Sea...

     

    ... although I'm not sure if that's because I won't be welcome, or because it won't be worth visiting.

    Edited by tdpriest
  3. I wouldn't worry too much about it, there are far more strategic projects in Saudi which are way behind.

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.