Thanks for your answers!! Just what I felt.
i did say 'no'. This was the reply I sent, i didn't want to be nasty, but wanted to say why I said no.
Hi xxxxxx,
Thank you for your email and interest in my videos.
You put me in a very awkward situation. I would love, of course my videos to feature on your show but……..for free? This is a little upsetting. You are a commercial company, providing content for a global channel, and you say you have no budget. If I look on your website, you sell stock footage. If someone asked for that footage for free, what would you say to them?
I’m very lucky and live and film in one of the most unique locations in the world. I have spent approx. 1000 hours in the last three years underwater here and have therefore been able to get footage that just is not available elsewhere. I love sharing, as can be seen on my Vimeo channel, but I cannot find a reason why I should give my work for free to a commercial TV channel. Not only does this belittle the work I do but also could take any revenue from other film makers and stock libraries too.
Now I know none of this is your fault, but as a diving industry professional, I have seen this with photography over the last few years. So many cameras out there, it is no longer necessary for many publications to buy photos, as they are sent them for free (and the joy of being published) forcing pros out of business.
My rates are not unreasonable. The rate for: Distribution of a Documentary Television Production with in-context promotion in all media, excluding Feature Film (Film Festival allowed); World In Perpetuity would be US$xx per second, with a 10% discount for anything over 30 seconds used. For 5 years, 10% off the above. If you are after just a few seconds, this should hardly break your bank. If you need more, then it becomes a substantial part of your show, and I would expect to be paid properly for this.
I understand if you do not want to use any of my footage. I am always so happy to see underwater marine life on TV channels and would love to have some of my footage featured, you guys do an amazing job in sharing my love for the ocean. I would love to find a way to work together, beneficial for both of us. If this was for a non-commercial project I would be happy to provide footage for free.
Best regards,
Kaj Maney