Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Ikelite, D800 and home made tripod

Started by VizBiz ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Ikelite, D800 and home made tripod

6 posts
  1. Hi all,

     

    Thought I would share my new D800 setup with tripod.

     

    Intend to do super macro video (+5 +8 +16) etc and needed a tripod...

     

    Testing tonight.

     

    Thoughts..? Feedback..?

     

    Cheers

     

     

    post-35770-13600296875772.jpg

     

    post-35770-13600297378948.jpg

     

    post-35770-13600297903618.jpg

     

    post-35770-1360029862744.jpg

     

     

  2. If your doing dedicated super macro video I would take the Ikelites off as they are adding weight and getting in the way when you want to move your other video lights around. Looking at your carrying handle.......well that explains why my garden hose gets shorter each week.....I thought it was the local kids making bongs. Actually I dont like the look of the carry handle as its tied off to each of those removeable ikelite arms......I can see something happening there and it will end up in tears. I suggest tying it off onto the Ikelite housing tray as a more secure point.

     

    Good luck with it and hope to see the results.

     

    Regards Mark

  3. Nice rig. Looks like you have a few bucks invested in it. Don't forget a lanyard wink.png (Wise guy in every crowd).

     

    As far as the tripod, do you have a specific subject in mind? It doesn't seem like you will be able to get much height out of the setup. While it looks super stable, it doesn't seem very versatile.

  4. If your doing dedicated super macro video I would take the Ikelites off as they are adding weight and getting in the way when you want to move your other video lights around. Looking at your carrying handle.......well that explains why my garden hose gets shorter each week.....I thought it was the local kids making bongs. Actually I dont like the look of the carry handle as its tied off to each of those removeable ikelite arms......I can see something happening there and it will end up in tears. I suggest tying it off onto the Ikelite housing tray as a more secure point.

     

    Good luck with it and hope to see the results.

     

    Regards Mark

     

    Thanks Mark.

     

    Nope - from the house across the road, so your safe ;-p

     

    Will move the handle.

     

    Cheers

  5. Nice rig. Looks like you have a few bucks invested in it. Don't forget a lanyard wink.png (Wise guy in every crowd).

     

    As far as the tripod, do you have a specific subject in mind? It doesn't seem like you will be able to get much height out of the setup. While it looks super stable, it doesn't seem very versatile.

     

    Hi - never used a lanyard - maybe I should sort that out....

     

    Ah - built for a purpose... I want to do super macro - point to the bottom.

     

    I can get more height - just swap the legs, or add legs on with clamps.

     

    Love to try natural light wide angle too...

     

    Keep you all posted.

     

    Cheers

Reef Photo & Video

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.