Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Swapping from fisheye to macro underwater?

Started by swgdesign ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Swapping from fisheye to macro underwater?

7 posts
  1. What do you with your fish-eye wet lens when it is not in use but you want it with you on a dive? Where do you store it etc?

     

    I am trying to figure out some way of being able to carry one underwater, should the need arise such as when I go to Malapascua in August I will want to shoot the Threshers and then finish off with some super macro etc!

     

    I have done this for years with a WA and macro lenses but never with a fish-eye!

     

    Many thanks

    Simon

  2. swgdesign,

    you probably should inform us about what camera, housing and fish eye you are talking,

    this will help us greatly to give you a correct answer without guessing what you are using.

     

    Guessing that you are using a compact camera with a wet fish eye i suggest that you use a lens carry adapter

    for your strobe arm or get a additional padded bag for your BCD to store the fish eye in while you don't need it.

    But this depen on the type and size of fish eye you are using.

    Chris

  3. I am in the process of picking a wet WA lens to go with Rx100/NA-RX100 rig (same as you, looking at the tags in your thread), and that is something I have been thinking about too. I have a couple 67mm lens holders for the arms that I can use to hold the lens while not in use.

     

    One of the WA lenses I am looking at (FIX) has 52mm thread and requires an adapter for 67mm...I'm not sure how removing that lens with the adapter while on a dive would work out. Seems like a good way to lose the adapter.

    Edited by CamelToad
  4. If you have more than one wet lenses, the lens holder arm is the way to go. Right now I only have one wet lens, and me being cheap, I just use a drawstring pouch like this:

     

    bag_canvas-small.jpg

     

    When not in use, I just put the lens in the pouch, and clip it to my D-ring on my BC. The pouch will protect the lens from being scratch should other divers decided to kick you from above, or their gauge dangling around you. Before getting back to the boat, I would attach the lens to the camera and hand the whole camera (with the wet lens attached) to the crew on board so I don't risk banging it on the ladder on the way up back to the boat.

     

    Once I take off my gear, I put the wet lens back to the pouch and submerge it in the camera bin. Other divers just throw their camera back to the camera bin so again, the pouch will protect the lens from being scratch.

    Edited by kc_moses
  5. Usually with a camera with good macro capability you don't need many lens swaps as you just take the wide angle on an off hence a pouch is sufficient

    With the rx100 instead you are constantly putting on a diopter so you have two lenses to play with

    A bayonet adapter is therefore pretty much a must

    The rx100 supports the inon LD and inon AD28 lenses though a fix adapter and with my special modification also the inon AD series

    For me the most versatile combination is the inon UFL165AD+2 inon UCL165AD

    If you are looking for maximum optical quality the fix uwl-04 and the reefnet subsee are the best however they are both bulky lenses that are not suitable to frequent swaps underwater

  6. Maybe an easy solution to your problem...but unfortunately only for the shark dive!

     

    At Malapascua when you are diving for threshers, you are only diving to see them and chances of macro are slim on Monad Shoal, which is a pretty level from dynamite fishing. You will find the odd critter like sea moths but remember you are not allowed using a strobes on this dive as it scares the sharks away, and at about 28m you are also too deep for natural light, hence most of the shark pics you see from this site are silhouettes...

     

    If I were you I would leave the macro on the boat for this dive....but....

     

    .....there are many other dive sites with good WA scenery and Macro....so you still need to find a solution to your problem!! :s

  7. I have decided to make my own lens carry pouch which will be made out of a small mesh bag that my dive boots came in and a neoprene foam laptop case. Once it's created I'll upload a photo :)

Marelux

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.