Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam D800 handle ergonomics - a solution.

Started by PeteAtkinson ·

  • 12Posts
  • 12Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam D800 handle ergonomics - a solution.

12 posts
  1. For my hands, the Nauticam D800 housing handles are too far
    from the housing, and my index finger rests too low on the shutter release for
    comfortable use. For people with smaller hands, like my wife, the problem is
    worse.

     

    My first modified handle was flattened and bent PVC plumbing
    pipe, which was sinfully ugly, but gave some indication where the new handle
    should lie in relation to the housing. I rigged up a temporary handle with
    dowel and an adjustable plate, so I could move things around till it felt
    comfortable and still left access to the exposure compensation control with my
    thumb.

    Here's pictures of the original handle, the PVC monstrosity and the new aluminium handle.

    post-23126-0-54787900-1361293710_thumb.jpgpost-23126-0-92663800-1361293728_thumb.jpgpost-23126-0-78457500-1361293744_thumb.jpg

    I cut and shaped the parts with hand-tools then had them TIG
    welded. The dovetail plate for the flash arms is held with 5mm machine screws
    on top. Anodising would improve the appearance, but the aluminium is
    marine-grade. The new handle is little different in weight from the original
    and reduces the overall housing width by 20mm.

    post-23126-0-91257300-1361293786_thumb.jpgpost-23126-0-09720500-1361293799_thumb.jpgpost-23126-0-53287400-1361293815_thumb.jpgpost-23126-0-24436600-1361293829_thumb.jpg

     



    If I had to use gloves this new handle would be unusable,
    but I hope never to be in water cold enough to require them…



  2. Hi,

     

    Have a look at the different sizes of Handles that Nauticam offers. They offer S,M & L sized handles ( as well as spacers for gloves).

    It is in my opinion one of the strengths of Nauticam., insignificant but really important to get the proper size.

     

    To my knowledge they deliver the Medium sized handles with the Housing.

    The Handles are reasonably prized at 75€ ( probably around 80-85$ or so).

     

    /Erik

  3. I have been informed that the small handles aren't actually closer to the housing - which is the issue for me.

  4. Ok, I am sorry about that.

    Do you happen to know in which direction that they are smaller?.

  5. The indents for the fingers seem more closely spaced. But you would think that a small handle that is 10mm closer to the housing, and a little taller (for the D800 housing) might be popular

  6. Pete

     

    Rather than anodising have you thought of trying a thick powder coating - whatever marine grade aluminium is you may still suffer from electrolytic corrosion if its bolted directly onto the housing. Powder coating might well be a cheap and effective solution.

  7. Good idea Paul, especially as there doesn't seem to be an anodiser in Phuket. I slathered Duralac on the bits and bolts when I put it together, so I am not very concerned about corrosion. Yachts of this stuff have bare topsides. Hopefully the Nauticam is machined out of a block of 5000 or 6000 series alloy, so it shouldn't be an issue. I will keep an eye on it anyway, I don't mind the handle corroding but I don't want corrosion on the housing!

  8. Your Information seems to be right, judging by pictures.

    It actually looks like it is only the finger grip part that changes between S, M & L grips.

    Why on earth didn't they simultaneously change the distance from Grip to Housing?

    It somehow seems like the logical solution, but ...

     

    /Erik

  9. Erik I agree it's strange. A simple solution (but not cheap!) would be to change the mould for the existing handle to add 15mm of polycarbonate under the head of the bolt, so that one could file up to 15mm from the handle where it touches the housing, thus bringing it that much closer without losing any strength over the current handle. I have suggested this to Nauticam.

  10. Do you really shoot with your hand in dorsiflexion (the wrist bent inwards, the fingers slanted away from the housing)? It looks very awkward and uncomfortable...

  11. I have to say too that Pete A is the first person I know of who has fed back to me that they don’t get on with the handles.

     

    I personally have never thought that I wanted them in any other position.

  12. Another option is to use the UCLS handles that screw to a slotted bar that attaches to the bottom of the housing. I used these with my Subal housing.

Fotosub Shop

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.