Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Wide Angle Lens for underwater

Started by pndldy ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24mm f/1.4G ED Wide Angle Lens for underwater

10 posts
  1. I was wondering if anyone has tried this one? Was considering buying it for above water and thought surly someone has used it underwater? It lets alot of light in with f1.4.

  2. Hiya,

    not exactly the same lens, but I use a Sigma 24mm f2.8 macro under water for small landscapes, animal and diver portraits (see example), in combination with a +4 diopter and a 4" minidome. I like it a lot. Topside it's great, too.

    I'm on full frame, on DX it becomes 35ish.

    Best regards,

    --Rob

     

     

    post-7565-0-12906700-1363118450_thumb.jpg

  3. I use the Canon 24/1.4 - it gives a very bright viewfinder image but cannot be used at fast apertures due to being behind a dome port. As a 24mm lens with fast AF and a bright viewfinder it should be great though.

  4. I use the Canon 24/1.4 - it gives a very bright viewfinder image but cannot be used at fast apertures due to being behind a dome port. As a 24mm lens with fast AF and a bright viewfinder it should be great though.

     

    I would bet (a little) money that it's difficult to match with a dome port, though...

  5. I would bet (a little) money that it's difficult to match with a dome port, though...

    Why if you can match a 16-35, should it be any more difficult with a fixed 24? One would think it would be easier as it's not as wide.

    Edited by loftus
  6. I would bet (a little) money that it's difficult to match with a dome port, though...

    Mine works fine but not, as I said, at wide apertures.

  7. I'm off to the pool in an hour or so, will make some test shots behind minidome and post over the weekend.

  8. You may struggle with it behind a minidome - I tried a small dome at first but now use my 24/1.4 behind either a (Seacam) WidePort or Superdome.

  9. Here are the test shots I promised. It's the Sigma 24mm 2.8 with a +4 diopter, behind the Subal 4" compact dome port. Just about usable down to f8, any wider and corner unsharpness and vignetting increase dramatically.

    However, when you're shooting close focus wide angle, it's a different issue (my static fish @ f2.8)

    post-7565-0-23605400-1363434158_thumb.jpg

    post-7565-0-25499200-1363434176_thumb.jpg

    post-7565-0-64217800-1363434186_thumb.jpg

    post-7565-0-74037500-1363438640_thumb.jpg

    Edited by rumblefish
  10. You may struggle with it behind a minidome - I tried a small dome at first but now use my 24/1.4 behind either a (Seacam) WidePort or Superdome.

    Tried the 24 behind a 6" dome yesterday and don't see much difference compared to the minidome. Corners still soft as of f8. The advantage of using the minidome is that I can get closer to the subject.

    Edited by rumblefish
Aquatica

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.