Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Sea & Sea and a D800, with Ikelite strobes help

Started by pndldy ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Sea & Sea and a D800, with Ikelite strobes help

7 posts
  1. I am thinking about a housing for my camera and am leaning towards the Sea Sea, but having a Little difficulty figuring out if I can use my strobes 160 ikelites. I am just guessing, but I'll bet it doesn't shoot TTL in the housing as it did with the Ikelite housing. That's ok, I can adjust to shooting manual all the time. If anyone has a sea sea housing with A D800, I would like to hear how you like it. Thanks and happy diving!

  2. Doesn'T Ikelite make cables with the ttl built in?

  3. I use the Mdx800 with Ikelite 161 on Manuel and like it.

    Never thought to use a TTL, so, can't help you on that.

    You need to think over about lenses and ports. My experience with the Nikon 16-35 VR with the 240 dome port , is not good, for example.

  4. Triggerfish, what would you suggest for wide angle?

  5. Well, for now, I use the Sigma 15 2.8 with and without the Kenko X1.4 TC and have 15 and 22.5 mm that I like.

    I ordered the Sigma 35 1.4 and will know how is it in the near future.

    Alex M. said the 16-35 is the best zoom lens for the job at this moment , I didn't like it even out of the water. It seems that the 16-35 that worked so great with the D700, is not good enough for the D800 (my opinion, only).

    Just a thought - why not getting the D4 into a housing ?

  6. well Triggerfish, the d4 is my little baby, ha ha. I like the thought of all those 36.3MP grabbing info for great pics from the 800. I appreciate the info and will hold off buying the 16-35. I do alot of birding and wildlife pics, so have lots of big lenses, 24-70, 70-200, 500 and 3 teleconverters. Just not much for underwater, 60, 105 and tokina 10-17 fisheye is about it. Going from a D90 and Ikelite system to full format camera, and want a different housing then the ikelite. I am growing up!

  7. The 10-17, 60 and 100 are excellent for the job.

    Try a 16-35 + D800 on land and if you are satisfy, just get the largest dome port (in Sea&sea is the 240 + 80 mm ext' rings).

    Not sure how the 10-17 works with a 1.4 Tc. The new Nikon 60 2/8 afs is not working well with the Tc, the old one (F) is working very well.

    Good luck !!!

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.