Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Samyang 8mm f3.5 Fisheye

Started by Aussiebyron ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

Samyang 8mm f3.5 Fisheye

2 posts
  1. I recently purchase a Samyang 8mm f3.5 Fisheye after reading a review by Ken Rockwell.

     

    http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/8mm-f35.htm

     

    I found these lens readily available on Ebay and picked one up for a good price, less than $200.

     

    I dont have access to a swimming pool as such for proper lens testing but I has able to take this lens out for a dive yesterday to see how it performs and make a rough comparison to the Tokina 10-17mm which I normally use. To start off the lens is a manual focus lens which i set the lens to its minium focus length of approximately 30cm or about a foot.. As you expect you need to be close to the subject as this lens is really wide but surprisingly it didnt have the distortion I was expecting and it feels to have less distortion than the Tokina 10-17mm @ 10mm.

     

    First impressions are that the lens doesnt focus as close as the Tokina but I was expecting that and it isnt as sharp as the Tokina. I had to set the aperture at a setting between f8 and f11 on the lens....which I expected to be f9 (wasnt marked on the aperture ring).

     

    Here are a few shots from yesterdays dive taken on a Nikon D7000 with Aquatica housing and 8 inch dome with 2x Ikelite DS161 strobes. Quick mention I also upgraded to the new Ikelite Li-ion battery packs made for the DS125/160/161 strobes. I must admit I like these new battery packs as they are lighter than the older packs abd have a quicker recycle time and give twice as amount of flashes than the standard battery packs. More bang for your buck.

     

    The shots are taken a setting between f8-f11 and ISO100. The images are not cropped or edited only resized for web. Only adjustment was shutter speed. This collection highlights what one can see on a single dive are Julian Rocks, Byron Bay, Australia, which is one of the best dive sites in Australia.

     

    8588548137_5363fc4cb9.jpg

    1/250th

    8588547169_bee5ba99b6.jpg

    1/250th

    8588544509_90429e5dc2.jpg

    1/200th

    8588543091_bf7e3c53f1.jpg

    1/160th

    8589641332_310f4cddda.jpg

    1/125th

    8588540159_87ddfa25b0.jpg

    1/320th

     

    Only early days with this lens but I am enjoying shooting with it and hopefully fine tune its performance. Hopefully getting a Manta photo during the week to add to todays collection. This lens has potential to make a great video lens for those like myself who are using the DSLR's more and more in making video's.

     

    Regards Mark

  2. eagle ray! damn! so close..so nice

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.