Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

What is this pretty fish I shot in Fiji?

Started by brookmathews ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

What is this pretty fish I shot in Fiji?

5 posts
  1. What is this pretty fish I shot in Fiji?

    They like to sit on the sand.

    They're about 6-8" long.

    They have a black spot on their tail.

     

    What do you call them?

  2. This is a type of sand perch. I don't know the species and I don't have a fish book here! With the species of sand perch that is common in the Red Sea the males have lines on their cheeks and the females have spots - so maybe this is a male? Nice pic, too.

  3. Brooke,

     

    Over here in Aust. these fish go by a common name of "grubfish" of which there are many. In the case of your picture posted it most resembles a Blacktail Grubfish (Parapercis hexophtalma) that we have over here. A fairly common species on the east coast.

     

    Hope this helps.

  4. Parapercis hexophtalma is the same sandperch that Alex mentioned to be common in Red Sea. Please find attached a picture of one male from Sharm el Sheikh. The black spot in tail does not match any of the other 11 Parapercis species in Lieske & Myers; however, FishBase.org has 54 valid Parapercis species...

  5. What is this pretty fish I shot in Fiji?

     

    Glad you got your id, but I have to comment on your photo. That is really nice photograph. Whenever I tried to capture an image of that type of fish... well, let's just say I got a lot of fish butt pictures. :) Nice job!

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.