Skip to content

Shooting Technique, Workflow and Editing / Archived topic

Rare Nudibranch Video - Kalinga Ornata

Started by Oceanshutter ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

Rare Nudibranch Video - Kalinga Ornata

10 posts
  1. Hello all:

     

    I was in the Philippines this last month, and had the good fortune of being able to film an extremely rare nudibranch. The Kalinga Ornata! To my knowledge, this is the only video of the nudibranch in a natural and behavioral standpoint. Even Roger Steene hasn't seen this nudibranch yet!

     

    After reviewing my footage that evening, I noticed that I caught it eating a Brittle Star. With it's translucent body, you can see the star moving around in the body. I didn't know it was feeding when I was shooting it. So that was a pleasant surprise!

     

    I am sorry for all the junk in the water. It was a very silty dive site, and being a night dive, my lights were attracting all sorts of critters.

     

    Let me know what you think of the video, and if you have ever seen this nudi before either video or photo.

     

    Thanks,

     

    Dustin

     

     

     

     

  2. Very nice!! I love how you can see the brittle star through the nudi!!

  3. Dont see video on phone :-/ link?

     

    Sendt fra Samsung Galaxy S2, via Tapatalk forum app.

     

     

  4. Great footage, thanks for sharing. The only additional shot I would have liked to see is a wider angle at the beginning to establish the environment and give a sense of scale of the nudi.

     

    Where exactly did you find this one? I'm in Anilao roughly every other weekend

  5. Great footage, thanks for sharing. The only additional shot I would have liked to see is a wider angle at the beginning to establish the environment and give a sense of scale of the nudi.

     

    Where exactly did you find this one? I'm in Anilao roughly every other weekend

     

    The environment is just sand and silt.....not too exciting.

    But thanks for watching it.

    Edited by deeznutz78
  6. Dont see video on phone :-/ link? Sendt fra Samsung Galaxy S2, via Tapatalk forum app.

     

    I tried to post the link, but it just embeds it. With these new forums, I don't know how to post a link......Anyone have instructions?

     

    Dustin

  7. Your footage of it eating the brittle star is terrific! A good place to view additional photos is at Nudipixel and you can find details about the species at Slug Site.

  8. Superb action - well done.

  9. Correction on my earlier post. I was just notified, that Roger Steene has in fact, seen this Nudi. I was told he saw it a couple years ago. My misunderstanding. I now do believe Roger Steene has seen everything!! :notworthy:

     

    Dustin

  10. Nope Roger hasnt seen everything. I can vouch for that :blum:

     

    Nice footage btw good detail. Those night 'insects' aka bloodworms and crustaceans attracted to focus light sure brings back testing memories for me.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.