Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Forgot to affix strobe cap to Ikelite housing for a dive...

Started by Alex Brown ·

  • 3Posts
  • 3Replies

Read-only discussion

Forgot to affix strobe cap to Ikelite housing for a dive...

3 posts
  1. Hello,

     

    I was wondering if anyone might be able to advise me on my little hiccup today... I forgot to put the strobe cap on the housing, for where the cord screws onto the housing body of my Ikelite 7D setup. I only noticed I had not put the cap on at 20m :(

     

    Are there any methods for ensuring the port is completely clean and salt free? I would be so upset if the strobe port contacts corroded from my error.

    Thanks, Alex.

     

    The port I am talking about looks like the one of the left (on the housing).

     

    bh-ike-ike.gif

  2. Hi Alex

    My suggestion would be to soak the strobe connector in distilled water for as long as possible and agitate the water occasionally. It will need to soak long enough to dissolve any salt residue and dilute any salt water that may still be in the connector. Then allow it to completely dry out before you install the cap.

  3. I did the same thing. Got under to find the cable and housing not connected.

    There was some corrosion/missing plating on the pins, presumably electrolytic action. I just flushed well with fresh water, dried thoroughly and put a smear of copper grease on the pins to ensure a good contact in the future.

     

    Still working fine 3 years later :)

Sea & Sea

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.