I'll be snorkeling for about a month this April, and was wanting to perhaps get a PT housing for that time.
How many dives can I take before I replace the O ring? How often do I need to grease the O-ring?
Can I expect all of the supplies (O-ring, silica packs, grease) to last for a full month of snorkeling? (20 to 30 times)
Thanks
Brian H
I would replace the oring every 1-2 years depending on the condition (getting flat spots, not as elastic, etc). I would clean with lookwarm water and mild soap and regrease lightly after every DAY of snorkeling. The reason behind the cleaning is to keep dried salt crystals from scratching your oring. Also it is to make sure that when you go to close your case the next day, dried salt crystals don't impare your seal. The grease is not to keep the seal, it is to lubricate the surface so the housing doesn't stretch the oring the wrong way when you close it. Also, don't forget to rinse the housing in FRESH water after every day of snorkeling and try not to let the salt water dry on the housing before the rinse (not always possible).
Just a note of caution -- if you have one of the older PT-000 cases with the black O-ring, removing it and pulling it between your fingers after every dive will cause it to stretch pretty quickly. The new yellow O-ring is much more sturdy.