Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam housing specific question

Started by pmerc ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam housing specific question

5 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    On the underside of my 7D housing there are 3 threaded holes presumably to attach a tripod to.

    Anyone know the thread info for these?

    Just wanted to possibly confirm it could be a 1/4" UNC....

    UNC seems be a hard one to find, but I would think this is the standard size for camera tripod mounts as well.

    Also could UNC be called something else overseas?

     

    Please correct me if I am mistaken.

     

    Thanks!

     

    Cheers,

    Phil

     

     

    P.S. I am unsure if other housings have the same tripod mount hence the title.

  2. 1/4 inch - 20 threads per inch - 1/4 UNC

     

    Available at any bolt / hardware store.

     

    Try the old fashioned way - Townville Fasteners 07 4257799

    Edited by pmooney
  3. 1/4 inch - 20 threads per inch - 1/4 UNC

     

    Available at any bolt / hardware store.

     

    Try the old fashioned way - Townville Fasteners 07 4257799

     

    Thanks Peter, Tried Bolt Masters and while they had the 1/4 UNC they only had 3/4 long for some reason in 316.

    No worries at all, I found an online place and hedged my bets.

    Appreciate the reply!

    Cheers,

    Phil

  4. If it is the same thread as in camera it is NOT 1/4 UNC but 1/4 BSW (i.e. Whitworth thread, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_Standard_Whitworth

    ). The difference is the thread angle which in UNC and metric threads is 60° but in BSW is 55°. If you put a 1/4 UNC screw into the camera you quite

    probable ruin the thread at least partially.

     

    Regards,

     

    Mikko

  5. THanks Mikko, I was able to start to screw in the UNC threaded bolts but met with some resistance so did not continue.

    Better to err on the side of caution that either cross thread them or screw up the mount.

    I'll try to order the BSW bolts for a try.

    Much appreciated!

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.