Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Nauticam extension ring/Zen minidome

Started by maelstrom ·

  • 9Posts
  • 9Replies

Read-only discussion

Nauticam extension ring/Zen minidome

9 posts
  1. I was always worried about my Subal type 3 ports coming off underwater, so I switched to Nauticam. Now, I find that taking ports off of my Nauticam 7D housing is difficult, and requires a lot of force. Much harder yet is separating the zen minidome from the extension ring. I have had to soak them in very hot water, and then use all my strength to rotate them and pull them apart. (Yes, I did unlock them). Now, I cannot get them apart at all. I would have much preferred the easy removal with Subal to my present situation.

     

    All comments appreciated.

     

    Hal

  2. Unfortunately, it will not help you, but ...

    I do not have the Zen Minidome, but a Zen big dome.

    I find that it easily comes off from the extension ring.

     

    You need to move it back a little bit from the end.

     

    /Erik

  3. Are you sure you are using the right size (thickness) o-rings? I had difficulties putting a Subal extension ring and port together until I used a slightly thinner o-ring.

  4. there is a port-lock on Subal's newer housing now and it is a really good solution. But since you already changed to another brand swichting back may not be an option....

  5. Are you sure you are using the right size (thickness) o-rings? I had difficulties putting a Subal extension ring and port together until I used a slightly thinner o-ring.

     

    Sounds like a reasonable reason.

     

    I once mistook the Port O-ring and the O-ring for the Drysuit Glove system.

    The Port was like a rock, but I got wet and cold hands :dance:

    Luckily enough it was not the pther way around!

     

    /Erik

  6. I ordered the correct o ring, which is actually made by Sea&Sea, not Nauticam. Thank you for your suggestions.

     

    Hal

  7. I ordered the correct o ring, which is actually made by Sea&Sea, not Nauticam. Thank you for your suggestions.

     

    Hal

    Hi,

     

    Did you check up whick one it is? I am so far having the Nauticam as a back up.

    I am a bit confused on which of the Sea&Sea to order!

     

    /Erik

  8. I cannot recall the specific oring now, but the information is readily available on Reef Photo's web site. The Nauticam port orings are much thicker. I would not even consider using one. E_Viking may have solved this problem. if you turn it fully counter clockwise, it locks again. Backing off just a little frees it up. I was not quite sure what he meant, but stopped in Ocean Optical, and Jack Connick showed me in Person. Many Thanks.

     

    Hal

  9. You are welcome and thanks for the info!

    I am happy to hear that your problem is solved!

     

    /Erik

Turtle

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.