On my last dive trip in Fiji I tried using the Gopro 3 Black for some macro video. Here's what I used:
- Gopro 3 black (naturally
)
- Snake River Products 52mm filter adapter
- Metal 52mm to 67mm step up adaptor
- Aquatica +5 67mm screw-in diopter (which I already had)
- Change Gopro mode to 1080px60fps NARROW so it wouldn't vignette.
I tried it in the pool first and it would focus really, really close and was quite crisp. I had high hopes. In actual use, I realized my videos would be very jerky unless i used a tripod to stead the cam while running. I'm just a dumb still frame photographer and really didn't think about that. So, it didn't work as I had planned because I didn't have a mini/submersible tripod with me - all my macro viddy's are herky-jerky and not really usable. Next time.
Another thing I figured out on this trip is how to mount the Gopro to my DSLR housing. I started out with it on top. I had a triple clamp so I could mount it right next to my focus light. However, I had a hard time getting it aimed properly while simultaneously taking photos, so I moved the trip clamp to the left hand hold and mounted the Gopro with a 4" extension were it was just beside and a touch back from my 10-17 on the left. That worked really well and my video was pointed exactly like my still camera.
It was fun. By the end of the week I was getting some decently smooth wide angle video. Macro was sortof a fail this time, but next time I'll bring a gorillapod. Trying now to chew through about 192gb of video files from our dives.