Skip to content

Photo / Video Showcase / Archived topic

Little Cayman, it's jawfish breeding season

Started by eyu ·

  • 7Posts
  • 7Replies

Read-only discussion

Little Cayman, it's jawfish breeding season

7 posts
  1. Last week I as at the Little Cayman Beach Resort attending the Undersea and Hyperbaric Medical Society meeting.

    Of course the meeting was a mix of education and diving. Enclosed are some pics shot with a D800 using a Nikkor 70-180 mm micro lens.

     

    Elmer

     

    post-8179-0-48038100-1367071951_thumb.jpgpost-8179-0-29626600-1367071975_thumb.jpgpost-8179-0-55364800-1367072038_thumb.jpgpost-8179-0-94887300-1367072064_thumb.jpg

     

     

  2. The last one is not a jawfish

    nice shots

  3. I don't particularly want to be a party-pooper, but the sharpness and depth of field don't compare well to the prime 105mm F2.8 micro lens...

     

    ... so I wouldn't want to compromise, even the zoom lens is superficially more flexible.

  4. I don't particularly want to be a party-pooper, but the sharpness and depth of field don't compare well to the prime 105mm F2.8 micro lens...

     

    ... so I wouldn't want to compromise, even the zoom lens is superficially more flexible.

    I do not see any argument between the sharpness of a fixed focal length prime lens versus a zoom lens, the fixed focal will be sharper.

     

    This was my first attempt using the D800 with the 70-180 mm micro lens. I was and remain concerned about diffraction with the D800, these shots were taken at f 11 and f 16. Would the shots be better with a smaller f stop (f 22, f 32) or would diffraction be more of a problem?

     

    What is your D800 experience with diffraction and macro shots? Does diffraction obliterate the gain in depth of field with small f stops?

     

    Elmer

  5. I do not see any argument between the sharpness of a fixed focal length prime lens versus a zoom lens, the fixed focal will be sharper.

     

    What is your D800 experience with diffraction and macro shots? Does diffraction obliterate the gain in depth of field with small f stops?

     

    Elmer

     

    I haven't noticed degradation at f22 underwater, although it's obvious in carefully taken images on land.

     

    post-4522-0-12581100-1371859532_thumb.jpg

     

    Nudibranch, Seraya Secrets, Tulamben: Nikon 105mm, 1/250 @ f22, ISO 200, Inon D2000 strobes x2, 30cm from focal plane

     

    My personal dislike of the zoom lens is its relatively poor performance at longer focal lengths (wasting so much of the D800's capability) and an aperture that's just not wide enough for underwater shooting with the smaller strobes that are useful in macrophotography.

    Edited by tdpriest
  6.  

    I haven't noticed degradation at f22 underwater, although it's obvious in carefully taken images on land.

     

    It is good to know that diffraction with macro shots underwater is not troublesome as it is on land.

    Thank you for your comments,

     

    Elmer

  7. It is good to know that diffraction with macro shots underwater is not troublesome as it is on land.

     

    Elmer

     

     

     

    I think that it's because the water and hand-holding introduce more significant threats to sharpness than diffraction, to be perfectly honest.

Scuba.com

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.