Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Pin-out for Nikonos 3-pin cable

Started by gsk3 ·

  • 4Posts
  • 4Replies

Read-only discussion

Pin-out for Nikonos 3-pin cable

4 posts
  1. I am trying to make an old SB-101 useful. It is in good shape, and I can make it flash using the TEST button. However, when I try shorting out each combination of the three pins (two at a time, taking appropriate safety precautions), I can't make it trigger.

     

    Am I just not getting the pins deep enough, or do these work on a different principle than PC sync cables? Does anyone have the specs for the 3-pin Nikonos cables?

  2. Hi GSK3,

     

    If you are looking at the cable end, not the camera end, here is the pinout on a 3 prong Nikonos cable.

     

    There is an indention in the part that goes into the camera; hold that indention to the 6 o'clock position.

     

    Mentally number the pins from left to right as 1,2,3. Pin 2 will be opposite the indention.

     

    Pin 1 = M sync

    Pin 2 = Ground Directly across from the indention.

    Pin 3 = X sync

     

    M sync is for flashbulbs, so you will be shorting ground to X-sync pin to make the strobe fire.

     

    Best of luck,

    Barry

    www.bareports.com

    www.keywordworkflow.com

  3. Super helpful, thanks. I'll give it a try as soon as work gives me a minute to breathe.

     

     

    Really appreciate it.

  4. Hi GSK3,

     

    If you are looking at the cable end, not the camera end, here is the pinout on a 3 prong Nikonos cable.

     

    There is an indention in the part that goes into the camera; hold that indention to the 6 o'clock position.

     

    Mentally number the pins from left to right as 1,2,3. Pin 2 will be opposite the indention.

     

    Pin 1 = M sync

    Pin 2 = Ground Directly across from the indention.

    Pin 3 = X sync

     

    M sync is for flashbulbs, so you will be shorting ground to X-sync pin to make the strobe fire.

     

    Best of luck,

    Barry

    www.bareports.com

    www.keywordworkflow.com

     

    Thanks a lot! I also needed this information. I've just tried an ikelite to nikonos cord on DS51 and it works as you explained.

AOI

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.