Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

RX-100 and TTL Difficulty

Started by Tubarao ·

  • 10Posts
  • 10Replies

Read-only discussion

RX-100 and TTL Difficulty

10 posts
  1. Hello.

    I have been using a Sony RX-100 with a Nauticam housing and a Sea & Sea 110a strobe, in TTL mode. Underwater, the exposure compensation of the camera's flash does not work. I bracket it from 0 to -1 and to -2 and nothing changes in the exposure of the subject lit by the flash. I do the same test "overwater", with the camera in the housing, and the flash's exposure compensator works!

    I use aperture (apples's software) to import my pictures and I noticed on the EXIF info, under flash exposition, I get "Return Light not detected" on underwater pictures, while on the "overwater" pictures I got "Return Light Detected". Is this the problem? any ideas?

    Despite of this issue, the TTL system provides a very smooth and nice light.

     

    Best regards

     

    Fabio

     

  2. Why do you want to use flash exposure compensation if the pictures come expose correctly?

  3. Control. I like to have control and play with the possibilities a working flash's exposure compensation can give. Also, I have been using this rig for less than 2 month, so I still need to check how the TTL works on a variety of light situations.

    Thanks for your quick response, Interceptor121.

  4. I have never used that feature in any camera I have used. Only when the camera systematically under or over exposes that is of some use.

    If you want to have an under exposed foreground close the aperture and move the strobe away usually works

  5. Why do you want to use flash exposure compensation if the pictures come expose correctly?

    Maybe to save battery life. If you set the internal flash to under-expose and the slave strobe to over-expose, the total exposure is still correct.

  6. Maybe to save battery life. If you set the internal flash to under-expose and the slave strobe to over-expose, the total exposure is still correct.

    The RX100 does not have any manual flash setting only works with internal TTL. So if you do that the picture will come underexposed unless you use the strobe in slave mode which is not TTL anymore

  7. Hot shoe not that important for me but ability to set custom white balance in video would be nice

  8. And the RX100MK2 is out now, looks really nice, but with high price: $750 (see dpreview.com)

     

     

    /O

  9. wonder if the new RX100 II can do custom WB in video mode and able to adjust flash output level........

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.