Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Scratched glass port

Started by Minkyd ·

  • 11Posts
  • 11Replies

Read-only discussion

Scratched glass port

11 posts
  1. Is there any possible way to remove scratches from a glass port? Unfortunately mine has rather large scratches after many years of use.

  2. Hi there,

     

    As far as I know I think the only way to get rid of those scratches is to get yourself a new dome :(

     

    Are the scratches visible in your images?

  3. Some manufacturers offer to change only the glass for a discounted price.

    Ask your provider!

    Chris

  4. Novus sells a polish that works fairly well. I got this tip from another photographer while on a trip. I used it on some scratches on my ports and it worked nicely. When I got home I bought some to keep. The container has a web address of www.novuspolish.com.

     

    Hope this helps - DiverPam

  5. Cerium oxide will polish glass.

    It is much, more difficult than polishing plastic domes.

     

    First try Photoshop!

     

    If not; go for a replacement.

  6. Thanks for your responses, confirms what I thought, I will have to purchase a new port.

  7. I had a Super Dome, $1200 that had a serious scratch, dead center. Novus is meant for acrylic domes but thought "what the heck" the port is trashed as is. Went to the Auto store and bought a foam car polisher that would fit on a hand drill. So for about $40 and 15-20 minutes of time was able to buff the deep scratch out to the point the dome worked fine. $1160 saved.

  8. I see they have a Light and Heavy Scratch remover - did you start with the heavy and then the light as they recommend for deep scratches, or just one stage?

  9. What happens to the optical coatings, if any? Are the optical coatings on the domes on the inside?

  10. Went to the Auto store and bought a foam car polisher that would fit on a hand drill. So for about $40 and 15-20 minutes of time was able to buff the deep scratch out to the point the dome worked fine. $1160 saved.

     

    Lucky, I guess: if the glass heats up, it will crack...

     

    ... there's an art to polishing glass, which I've (expensively) not mastered.

  11. I see they have a Light and Heavy Scratch remover - did you start with the heavy and then the light as they recommend for deep scratches, or just one stage?

     

    I bought a 3 pack set - do not remember if that was the only way to get it or not when I bought this. In my set is a fine and a heavy scratch remover/polish bottle. I used the heavy stuff first (had a deeper scratch) and then moved to the fine one.

     

    Pam

Isotta

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.