Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

Philippine fish - any ideas?

Started by rmcgonegal ·

  • 5Posts
  • 5Replies

Read-only discussion

Philippine fish - any ideas?

5 posts
  1. Philippine fish - any ideas?

    I took this photo near the shark cave dive site in Puerto Galera, Mindoro, Philippines about 80 feet depth. No one on the dive knew the name of this critter.

  2. Looks like a type of Searobin or Seamoth. You may want to try a search at www.fishbase.org and try to find a match.

  3. I think that it is a Flying Gurnard I found one in Mozambique in about 2ms of water a couple of years ago just off the beach of Bazaruto

     

    flyingG.JPG

  4. Re: Philippine fish - any ideas?

    I took this photo near the shark cave dive site in Puerto Galera, Mindoro, Philippines about 80 feet depth. No one on the dive knew the name of this critter.

     

    Definitely a Flying Gunard, Dactyloptena orientallis, the dead give aways are the broad head, the great pectoral fins and the elogations on the end of the pectoral fins.

    Sea Robins have a narrow snout and not as broad of a head.

  5. Shark Cave's a bit deep, I've found these guys in 10 feet of water in front of Sabang, under the floating bar!

     

    Stu

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.