Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Macro Shutterspped limitations on NEX?

Started by E_viking ·

  • 8Posts
  • 8Replies

Read-only discussion

Macro Shutterspped limitations on NEX?

8 posts
  1. Hi,

     

    I assume that there are plenty users of different NEX version out there.

     

    One of the other guests on a Liveaboard had a NEX5.

    His system had a strange limitation of Shutterspeed when using the Macro Lense ( 30mm I believe).

    It seemed like the fastest Shutterspeed available was 1/60s. When using a WA it was higher.

    I just could not believe it! I never fiddled with the menus

     

    Is there some limititations when using macro lenses with th NEX:s?

     

    /ERik

     

  2. I did this using manual setting, 1/160, f16, iso100 and flah -2ev to trigger my strobe

  3. The only limitation is the 1/160 sync speed. same for both macro and wa.

  4. What mode was he shooting in? I don't know NEX, but I saw a similar thing with a couple of guys on a trip.

    They had RX100 and S95 respectively but they would only shoot in Aperture Priority mode. They'd set for what Fstop they wanted and the camera would almost always chose 1/60 for shutter.

  5. I assumed that he using M mode, but could have been A as well.

     

    I was fiddling around with a NEX6 at SGP and I ended up at 1/160 as well.

    It seems that 1/160s is the correct one.

     

    Mark: was it the Macro Lense?

  6. Yes, 30/3.5 macro for 90% of the dive, with occasionally Subsee +

    We are also experimenting by adding a dry close up adapter to 50/1.8 or 30/1.8 to get more light.

    I will check out the faster flash syn shutter

  7. I tried to figure out but still, the X sync speed of Nex 5 (various) and Nex6 is 1/160. I will try to set it to 1/250 and try out nex dive.

    BTW, at <300gm, Nex5r is a great diving camera.

  8. I tried to figure out but still, the X sync speed of Nex 5 (various) and Nex6 is 1/160. I will try to set it to 1/250 and try out nex dive.

    BTW, at <300gm, Nex5r is a great diving camera.

     

    max sync speed for the nex is 160. it won't let you go over this. if you are over this and turn the flash on, it will adjust the shutter speed back to 160.

     

    It is what it is. if you find a way to get faster, I'd love to hear it.

Kraken Sports

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.