Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Surf or dive housing for galapagos snorkeling, what's best?

Started by nathanm ·

  • 6Posts
  • 6Replies

Read-only discussion

Surf or dive housing for galapagos snorkeling, what's best?

6 posts
  1. I will be going to the Galapagos islands for a mostly land based trip. On those trips you usually snorkel at least once a day - with penguins, marine iguanas and sea lions. Note that this is NOT the same thing as diving the Galapagos!

     

    I have been once before (in the days of film) and used a standard dive housing. That worked, but when you're right at the top and there is a lot of wave action it is pretty heavy and can be awkward. Waves whack the camera into your face, etc.

     

    I usually use Seacam housings (1DS Mark III, 5D Mark III and have 1Dx on order). My sons use Seacam and Nauticam.

     

    So my default housings for snorkeling will be those, but it has occurred to me that for rougher water a surf housing like SPL http://splwaterhousings.com/ might actually be better. They are lighter, and generally meant to be used with one hand.

     

    Does anybody have any experience with using these right near the surface for snorkeling?

     

  2. Hi Nathan

    I've got one for the old 1D2. The reason you'd need a lighter housing in the surf is because you shoot out of the water quite a bit. So its design is to be easier to lift with one hand and fire. For the Galapagos, I'd just use a 45° view finder for snorkeling. Allows you to look down and shoot while swimming and still breathe through the snorkel. I'd maybe use a smaller dome since corners aren't as important, unless you are doing over/unders, then you'll need a bigger dome... a much bigger dome in the choppy waters of Galapagos.

    With the Galapagos marine life inshore, you will need to free dive a bit for the proper shots so remember to have a weight belt added to the boat.

    If you think the 5D3 housing is too negative, just attach a float arm on the top. I use the carbon fiber arms to lift the older 1D series housings to relieve arm fatigue. Alternatively, work out more! :)

    Have fun!
    Speaking of Seacam 5D3, how do you like the Seacam 5D3, without full access to the joystick? Just emailed you too.

    Edited by Drew
  3. OK, this basically confirms what I was thinking - that a surf housing would be a good idea. SPL looks pretty good, but there are some other makes too.

     

    I like the Seacam 5D3 housing, but mostly my son uses it. It would be an issue for some cases.

     

    I used a Nauticam housing for the 1DX in Raja Ampat and that did have the joystick control. I did use it occasionally so this is certainly a consideration.

  4. I guess I should learn how to write less ambiguously. I was trying to say you don't need it. A normal uw housing is a better option because of the 45° viewfinder. The light housing and one hand operation is essential for surfers because they shoot above water, something we wouldn't do too often unless attempting over/unders. I've never got the penguins close enough to do make it work. Nor could I find an iguana with the body in the water and head out near the rocks during sunset/rise.

     

    Is the 1DX Seacam even out yet? I spoke with Harald in Apr and he said in June.

  5. Well, I misread you then!

     

    Last time I was in the Galapagos (many years ago) I used a full UW housing set up for snorkeling, so of course it works. I had penguins all around me on more than one snorkel. A bunch of baitfish tried to hide near me, and the penguins zipped past me within a foot or so like a bunch of torpedoes. It's yet another example of you why you don't want to be a baitfish.

     

    However, maybe that was unbelievable luck....

     

    The surf angle is that if there is a shore swell you can get sea lions that play in the surf. And the full housing is very heavy if you try to do much in the way of over/unders. So I might get one to try things like that. It surely isn't necessary.

     

    They now allow you to do kayaking in the Galapagos (used to be banned), and that would be another reason for a surf housing - i.e. basically for topside shooting, but you don't want to dunk the camera.

     

    I already use carbon fiber arms to add buoyancy. With the Inon popeye arms you can actually add too much and make my existing Seacam set up very positive.

     

    The 1DX Seacam is NOT out yet that I know of. I have had one on order for quite some time, and there does not seem to be a firm commitment to date. My guess is June, but it might be July. Fortunately, I don't have any trips for a few months so it doesn't matter that much to me.

     

    The only technical detail that I have at the moment is that the 1DX remote port option can do either shutter only (as with the current remote port) or full Ethernet. I would love to come up with a use for that - for example, UW time-lapse. It is a very special case that I may never use, but it does sound cool....

  6. Yes you did. For topside kayaking or water wading etc (ie fear of drowning the camera!), I use an EWA Marine bag. Allows the use of telephoto lenses and is very light, without the bulk of a big surf housing. For in-water/snorkeling shooting, I just use my housing with a 45° viewfinder.

WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.