which do you think is the best lens for DX Nikon cameras? Nikon DX 40 mm or DX 85 mm?
- 17Posts
- 17Replies
Read-only discussion
Macro Lens for Nikon DX
-
-
I have never used the 85mm, but the 40mm is too short.
I liked the 69mm on DX.
-
The 40 mm is 60 mm on DX (x1,5)....
-
Why not use a 60mm and if/when you upgrade to full frame you wont have to purchase another lens. I used my 60 a lot on my DX bodies and loved it.
Joe
-
60mm is a good choice as a macro/fish portrait lens and, as Joe mentions, it is an FX lens. The 40 would be interesting for subjects like large groupers or similar which are a tad too large for the 60. We use the 35mm f/2 D for such subjects.
The 85 is a nice lens but it is only a DX optic.
The 60 will remain with you for a long time. Make sure you get the AFS version, far better AF performance.
Michel
-
which do you think is the best lens for DX Nikon cameras? Nikon DX 40 mm or DX 85 mm?
Short answer is neither. As the others have suggested get the 60mm.
Cheers,
Jim.
-
The 60mm is a good macro lens allowing you to pull back for smalll scenes. But if you are want to get more than 1:1 with diopters you will want the 105 mm for the increased working distance which is reduced by the diopters.
In addition to the macro lens you will probably want a wide angle zoom to use behind a dome. For the selection of this lens and dome port the argument will become nearly religious with the selection of fish-eye or rectileniar and dome size.
-
-
Hi,
i use the Nikon 70 - 180mm macro zoom lens.
Not produced any more, but a nice lens for tiuny stuff ;-))
Greetings,
Wolfgang -
It's good, but it's hard to use the 105mm with a DX sensor. I did use the 105mm with diopters, but I have friends who have happily used teleconverters and "wet" diopters with the 60mm micro lens and a DX sensor.
For me the 105mm really comes into play with the addition of strong diopters. Love using it with the SubSee +10 for greater than
1:1 ratio macro images. Having said that it's a frustrating tool to use/focus, at least on my D90. Would love to try on a D7100 or a
similarly well endowed body one day.
Cheers,
Jim.
-
I would agree with the 60mm AFS, it gives better working distance on DX and is more versatile than either of the DX-only macros.
-
Hello Calypso3,
What kind of pictures will you try to make? that will help us to give you a better advice. I have 40mm, 60mmAF-D, 60mmAFS, 105mmVR and 150mm all macro 1:1 but there is no best for everything. Some of them also work well with TCs and some don´t etc...
-
The 60 for sure.
Shorter lenses have too close a working distance to get good lighting
-
My vote go to the 60mm on DX. It is pretty versatile and easy to use. The 105 is very specific ( really small stuff and usage with diopters) on DX.
The downside of the 60mm is that it does not really working with diopters.
My suggestion: get the 60mm as a starter.
/Erik
-
After using the Nikkor 60mm Micro F/2.8D (and the 50mm from the Nikonos RS) I wanted a somewhat wider lens with Macro capability.
Following a friends advise, I bought a Sigma 28mm f/1.8 Micro AX DG, and I'm extremely pleased with it!
Apparently, sigma is famous for bad copies, my friend had to try 3 before he was happy! I was lucky, and mine is a gem!
I use it both on the Fuji S2 Pro DX camera, and on the Film D80, both on Subal Housings!
Examples:
http://www.pbase.com/jdrpc/image/102303972
http://www.pbase.com/jdrpc/image/136321760
http://www.pbase.com/jdrpc/image/137326220
http://www.pbase.com/jdrpc/image/150328786
http://www.pbase.com/jdrpc/image/128324827
-
Many thanks to all for your valuable advice.Today I bought a micro Nikkor Af-S 60 mm (used, of second-hand), having found an excellent opportunity. Ciao.
-
Well done, have fun with it!
Cheers,
Jim.