Hi, I'm researching my first camera enclosure for my Canon EOS 60D. I heard great things about the Nauticam but its very pricey for my current budget.
I was looking at the IkeLite underwater housing (Canon 60D DSLR - Product # 6870.60) and it looks like its a good possibility but I was wondering if folks would recommend it. Its direct URL is:
http://ikelite.com/web_two/can_60d.html
If I did get the IkeLite housing does it make sense to go with a matching IkeLite strobe or is that not necessary?
I also need to decide if for my first setup, if I need two strobes or if one is sufficient for starting out.
Thanks for any tips,
Rick
Rick,
Ikelite has a lot of things going for them. I can't speak directly about the 60d. But I have had 3 housings from them, 2 5d mark ii's, a 1 10d. The price of the ikelite is much cheaper than all the rest of the housing out there. And their service is terrific especially since you are in the USA. The things I like about them are:
- cost
- you can see inside the housing
- TTL with the housing (really only good for macro however)
- great service
- made in the usa
However, having said all of that. My next housing will be aluminum, leaning towards nauticam next, but will see. They do have negatives.
- more fragile if dropped
- buttons tend to stick (I sent mine in and they drilled holes and put in stiffer springs, haven't had a problem since)
- The port system is terrible when connecting to the housing
- The port system is limited from a lens standpoint. can't do the 16-35 II in it....and the distances for the 8-15mm fisheye and 15mm fisheye, have the same port extensions. but they are drasctically different legnth lenses. ultimatly it isn't the proper distance away from the dome. affecting image quality.
- Can't get third party domes (zen domes)
- The port locks are plastic and could break easily.
For me, ikelite has allowed me to get into the underwater photography/video. But the more serious you get about it, you will ultimatley want to go for a aluminum housing. If you aren't stuck on going new, you can always check the classifieds here on wetpixel as people are selling used housings all the time. My bet is you could find a 7d setup with camera pretty cheap. just a thought.
On the strobes, if you go ikelite housing it makes sense to do the strobes as well. I would go with 2 if you can. again, check into some used ones.
hope that helps
Dustin