Skip to content

Photography Gear and Technique / Archived topic

Removing NA-7D 16mm Bulkhead Plug

Started by steviet ·

  • 13Posts
  • 13Replies

Read-only discussion

Removing NA-7D 16mm Bulkhead Plug

13 posts
  1. Hi All,

     

    I'm trying to remove the 16mm bulkhead plug in my NA-7d housing and having a bear if a time with it. What tool did you use to remove yours?

     

    Thanks,

    Steve

  2. I think you can do it with a coin, for instance 2 Euros would do, depends on where you live :-)

  3. Large slotted screwdriver, with blade covered in insulating tape to avoid damage to the anodising of the fitting. I couldn't get enough purchase with a coin (no pun intended).

     

    Mark

  4. Large slotted screwdriver, with blade covered in insulating tape to avoid damage to the anodising of the fitting. I couldn't get enough purchase with a coin (no pun intended).

     

    Mark

    Thanks for the responses but this isn't a slotted plug. It's got two holes for some type of spanner wrench that I don't have. Can't seem to post pics in the forum to show.

  5. Long nosed pliers in that case. Where are you based?

  6. Hi Alex,

    I actually snapped a pair already, and marred up the anodized plug, but I thought I found the right tool at my third hardware store. Unfortunately, it's not adjustable enough, and besides that the diameter of the posts it has are too wide. No luck, I'll have to find another pair of needle nose that have some strength to them. I feel like a tool for this should have come with the housing or just use slotted plugs. Anyway...

     

    Thanks,

    Steve

    Edited by steviet
  7. Large slotted screwdriver, with blade covered in insulating tape to avoid damage to the anodising of the fitting. I couldn't get enough purchase with a coin (no pun intended).

     

    Mark

    As most housings have these type of plugs a coin seems to be the best fit i use a small adjustable on the coin it works OK for me. :)

    regards,

    Andy

  8. Take the housing to an auto parts store and get a

    'spring clip plier' to match the two pin holes.

    Long nodes pliers are hardened and do not have the tensile strength to be used in the way you are trying..

  9. Take the housing to an auto parts store and get a

    'spring clip plier' to match the two pin holes.

    Long nodes pliers are hardened and do not have the tensile strength to be used in the way you are trying..

    Thanks for the tip, but those aren't working either. The tips are too small no matter which one I've tried, they just can't get enough torque to spin the bulkhead because there is too much slop. Frustrating because its so close but so far.... I'm curious to know what exact tool you used?

     

    Steve

  10. Hi Steve,

    The folks at Nauticam tell me that the recommended tool to use for the fitting is a pin style spanner wrench like the ones in the Mcmaster Carr catalog. The guys at the shop though use a pair of circlip pliers with heavy tips. I'd love to know if you find something economical to use. I'll keep looking and post back if I find a tool that works well.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  11. Thanks Roger, that looks like it would work well with the correct pin dia. I'll give it a try.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

  12. Hi Steve,

    The folks at Nauticam tell me that the recommended tool to use for the fitting is a pin style spanner wrench like the ones in the Mcmaster Carr catalog. The guys at the shop though use a pair of circlip pliers with heavy tips. I'd love to know if you find something economical to use. I'll keep looking and post back if I find a tool that works well.

     

    Cheers,

    Steve

    Yeah, thanks for that Steve. No one wants to say which exact tool they are using, I'm tired of buying the wrong tool for this 'simple' problem. It looks like the diameter of the holes on the screw are ~1.5mm.

     

    I've ordered a tool from amazon that is similar to the one that roger recommended, but it's going to take 2 more weeks to get here from china. I'll post a link to it when I get it and see if it works. They're so cheap I might buy the one for harbor freight and try it out before the one for china gets here.

    Edited by steviet
WaterPixels Store

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.