Skip to content

Critter Identification / Archived topic

I need help with iding this goby

Started by trygon ·

  • 2Posts
  • 2Replies

Read-only discussion

I need help with iding this goby

2 posts
  1. I captured this little guy, about 2.5 cm or a little less, in about 30' of water at Panama City Beach, Florida. I think it might be a juvi goldspot goby, Gnatholepis thompsoni, before the pectoral spot forms. The rest of the coloration fits. Any thoughts?

     

    post-24387-0-06922300-1370307747_thumb.jpg

     

    post-24387-0-78063000-1370307763_thumb.jpg

  2. Hi Bryce,

     

    Yes it is a goldspot goby. I can't confirm if the goldspot is lacking because it is a young individual, because I think even in adults the goldspot can be obvious or very faint/absent. If you dive more often in that area it would be interesting to see if the spot is systematically absent in small individuals and not in the larger ones.

     

    Bart

Keldan

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.